News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Cardiology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Cardiology Answers List

Forum Name: Cardiology Diagnostics

Question: Rapid weight Loss and chest pain

Ibrehim Lederer - Wed Jan 19, 2005 2:06 pm

Dear Dr.,
A month ago had pain in the left side of my chest--about three inches above my nipple--which came along with a similar pain in the left-center of my back. X-rays said I was fine. Then the pain went away for a month. Now the pain has returned.
It is a burning but also "pain"ful pain. There is also some tingling, I think. I feel perfectly fine when I lay down for a few minutes, so sleeping is not a problem. It hurts more when I walk.
I had lost 140 pounds over the past three years and I am currently losing two pounds a week. Could extreme weight loss be the problem? If not, what? (Male, 21, 240 LB)
Thank You
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Fri Feb 11, 2005 8:56 pm

User avatar Dear Ibrehim,

i don't think that weight loss has anything to do with this pain.

To decide whether or not chest pain is due to coronary disease, risk factors for coronary disease of the patient suffering from chest pain and the characteristics of the chest pain itself are looked at. If the patient does not have any risk factors and the characteristics of the pain not typical of pain caused by coronary disease then the possibility that this pain might be due to coronary disease is low and another diagnosis is looked for (another cause for the pain).

If the patient has several risk factors for the pain and the pain has the typical characteristics of the pain caused by coronary disease, the patient is taken to coronary angiography. If the situation is not clear like the patient has one or two risk factors and has some typical features of the pain, the patient is then subjected to a stress test.

In your case, you don't mention having any risk factors for coronary disease and the characteristics of the pain contain some atypical features, so i will assume that this is not coronary disease and that this pain has other reasons.

Chest pain has many other causes besided coronary disease, and you have to be clinically evaluated by a doctor to decide the reason behind this chest pain.

i would recommend that you be seen by your doctor to make sure that there is nothing serious about this pain.

Thank you very much for using our website http://doctorslounge.com and i hope that this information helped.

Yasser Mokhtar, M.D.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here