Forum Name: Cardiology Diagnostics

Question: Rapid weight Loss and chest pain

Ibrehim Lederer - Wed Jan 19, 2005 2:06 pm

Dear Dr.,
A month ago had pain in the left side of my chest--about three inches above my nipple--which came along with a similar pain in the left-center of my back. X-rays said I was fine. Then the pain went away for a month. Now the pain has returned.
It is a burning but also "pain"ful pain. There is also some tingling, I think. I feel perfectly fine when I lay down for a few minutes, so sleeping is not a problem. It hurts more when I walk.
I had lost 140 pounds over the past three years and I am currently losing two pounds a week. Could extreme weight loss be the problem? If not, what? (Male, 21, 240 LB)
Thank You
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Fri Feb 11, 2005 8:56 pm

User avatar Dear Ibrehim,

i don't think that weight loss has anything to do with this pain.

To decide whether or not chest pain is due to coronary disease, risk factors for coronary disease of the patient suffering from chest pain and the characteristics of the chest pain itself are looked at. If the patient does not have any risk factors and the characteristics of the pain not typical of pain caused by coronary disease then the possibility that this pain might be due to coronary disease is low and another diagnosis is looked for (another cause for the pain).

If the patient has several risk factors for the pain and the pain has the typical characteristics of the pain caused by coronary disease, the patient is taken to coronary angiography. If the situation is not clear like the patient has one or two risk factors and has some typical features of the pain, the patient is then subjected to a stress test.

In your case, you don't mention having any risk factors for coronary disease and the characteristics of the pain contain some atypical features, so i will assume that this is not coronary disease and that this pain has other reasons.

Chest pain has many other causes besided coronary disease, and you have to be clinically evaluated by a doctor to decide the reason behind this chest pain.

i would recommend that you be seen by your doctor to make sure that there is nothing serious about this pain.

|