Question: Rightside chest pain/infection?

Crymsin - Sat Jan 22, 2005 2:01 pm

Hi. Im 26 year old male. I smoke about 5 cigs a day. Have done so for 8 years. Ive been having wierd flashes for the past 4 years or so which the neurologist im seeing says is caused by epilepsy, although CAT, EEG, and MRI have showed nothing wrong. Im planning on starting the medicine he's recommended as soon as possible. But Ive been having rather sharp, constant pain in my right side, above the breat, for about 3 weeks now. Sometimes the pain goes through to my right shoulderblade and down my right arm. Always above the breast though. So im hoping it doesnt involve any organs hehe. The night the pain started I also discovered some kind of sore inside my left nostril. And the lymph node on the left side of my neck became swollen. All this happened within a few hours. Ive been to 2 doctors, the 2nd doctor prescribed penicilin and after about 3 days the swelling of the node disappeared. The sore in my nose is the same as the day it appeared. Very painful as well. The penicilin is finished after 10 days of 3 times a day. Ive read several posts by others on this website with similar pain. But saw nothing about the symptoms of infection also. Im curious whether it might have something to do with my neurological problem.. Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated. TY
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Mon Feb 21, 2005 8:17 pm

User avatar Dear ty,

If the pain increases with taking a deep breath, it could be related to infection. There is a membrane around the lungs called the pleura and if it gets inflammed due to many causes including infection it can cause pain.

The sore in your left nostril most probably has something to do with the lymph node on the left side of the neck. i hope that the sore has disappeared by now. Taking antibiotics can sometimes help the problem if the sore was caused by infection or if it was secondary infected, meaning that it was caused by something else but since the skin in this area is not present anymore to protect this area, it gets infected. And secondary infection can cause the lymph node to enlarge and if the infection is treated, the lymph node goes away. The sore remains because its original cause was not treated.

About the pain in the right side, besides being caused by an infection or an inflammation, it can be caused by cervical spine problems so i would recommend having a neck x-ray to rule out this problem.

If you have not tried anti-inflammatories yet, i would suggest that you do and see whether they make any difference.

|