Question: Possible Warning Signs of a Stroke or a Heart Attack

mrobbins0010 - Sat Jan 22, 2005 8:35 pm

Having Pain at the base of my neck on the right side. Blood Pressure has been as high as 183/98. Chest Pain that grabbed me three times on my left side near my shoulder blade when I was vaccuming. I have a PAT condition, fast heart beat. I currently take lanoxin and toprol for this condition. The other night when I had these symptoms I was scared and took an aspirin and a second toprol for the day. Two hours later my BP had lowered to around 154/88. Should I be concerned? Should I see a doctor? Still have the headache at the base of my neck, however not as bad as when my blood pressure was at it's highest and I am having no current chest pains.
Headache has been going on now for approximately five days. May sound wierd but usually is worse starting in the afternoon? Could these possibly be early warning signs of a stroke or heart attack?
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Tue Feb 22, 2005 12:28 am

User avatar Dear mrobbins0010,

It sounds that you have hypertension and that you might need better control of your blood pressure. With such high blood pressure, these might be warning symptoms that this is a high blood pressure and it needs to be better controlled.

i think you have to call your doctor and tell him about this high blood pressure, even though you are taking toprol which should take care of high blood pressure but it looks like you have to be kept on higher doses.

Back and chest pains in the presence of high blood pressure can also be caused by aortic dissection, but the pain is usually severe and excruciating and follows the line of dissection which does not sound like it in your case.

|