News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Cardiology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Cardiology Answers List

Forum Name: Valvular Heart Diseases

Question: Numbness in Extremities

Ashley619 - Sun Jan 23, 2005 12:20 am

I just had a question. For the past 3 days I have had some slight numbness in my left toes. Nothing extreme, but enough to bother me. Then, all of a sudden today, my lower left calf and left forearm started to go numb too. I can't tell too much when they are numb, only if I move a slight way and then I can feel it. Everyone's telling me that it's more than likely something pinched or pulled, but I just wanted to know.
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Fri Jan 28, 2005 7:25 pm

User avatar Dear Ashley,

i don't think that there is something to worry about.

Numbmess usually means irritation (and/or destruction) of nerves. Since the distribution that you are describing is not consistent with the distribution of a particular nerve or to the pattern usually followed by nerves when they are affected by any factor that would cause their destruction, i think that this is something not to worry about.

At your next doctor visit, if you still having these symptoms, i suggest that you mention it to your doctor.

If you are worried about these symptoms being stroke symptoms, stroke usually affects half of the body at once, meaning that you would have felt the numbness all over the left side of your body at the same time.

Thank you very much for using our website http://doctorslounge.com and i hope that this information helped.

Yasser Mokhtar, M.D.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here