Forum Name: Valvular Heart Diseases

Question: Numbness in Extremities

Ashley619 - Sun Jan 23, 2005 12:20 am

I just had a question. For the past 3 days I have had some slight numbness in my left toes. Nothing extreme, but enough to bother me. Then, all of a sudden today, my lower left calf and left forearm started to go numb too. I can't tell too much when they are numb, only if I move a slight way and then I can feel it. Everyone's telling me that it's more than likely something pinched or pulled, but I just wanted to know.
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Fri Jan 28, 2005 7:25 pm

User avatar Dear Ashley,

i don't think that there is something to worry about.

Numbmess usually means irritation (and/or destruction) of nerves. Since the distribution that you are describing is not consistent with the distribution of a particular nerve or to the pattern usually followed by nerves when they are affected by any factor that would cause their destruction, i think that this is something not to worry about.

At your next doctor visit, if you still having these symptoms, i suggest that you mention it to your doctor.

If you are worried about these symptoms being stroke symptoms, stroke usually affects half of the body at once, meaning that you would have felt the numbness all over the left side of your body at the same time.

|