Question: Chest pain

barnes8244 - Sun Jan 23, 2005 7:57 am

I am a 31 year old female and have never had any health problems. I took my blood pressure yesterday and it was 122 over 70, which is good. For the past 4 days though, I have been belching constantly. When I say constantly, I mean every 3-4 minutes and have developed chest pain. It is in various places in my chest ranging from rib cage, right side, but mostly in my left side. I have been taking Nexium now for 4 days, and have taken antacid pills like candy, and its still going on.

Does this sound typical of Acid Reflux or should I seek medical advice again? I saw a doctor about 4 months ago and had EKG, Chest Xray and another heart test where they monitor the patterns of your heart (maybe ultrasound). Everything was "textbook healthy" they said, but I'm still concerned.

I am not having shortness of breath.

Thanks.
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Tue Feb 22, 2005 12:35 am

User avatar Dear Barnes8244,

You don't have any risk factors for coronary disease and the pain that you have is atypical as compared to that of coronary disease, so i think that your chest pain is not due to coronary disease.

The chest pain that you have might be due to severe reflux or due to the continuous eructation that you have been having which might be caused by injury to the esophagus.

i would recommend that you speak to your doctor about it just to follow up in case this was due to the fact that this pain was actually due to esophageal injury.

|