Forum Name: Cardiomyopathy

Question: Neck pain coupled with dizziness.

Kmedusa8 - Sun Jan 23, 2005 8:41 pm

Hi.
My questions relate to a pain in the back of the left side of my neck. The pain is dull and moves in an upward motion, beginning at a parallel position to the brain stem and ending right above where I can feel my skull begin.
I've had this pain for a few months. Starting a month ago, I have been dizzy along with the pain. I initially gave the credit to congestion, but it won't dissipate, if that's what it is. The dizziness comes and goes, but it is consistent enough to have me concerned, especially when coupled with this neck pain.
Do you have an idea of what could be causing both the dizziness and the pain? Do my symptoms warrant a doctor's visit? Do I have, as a patient, the right to request an MRI? I'm a little paranoid over all of this.
Thank you sincerely for any response and advise you can offer. I just found this site tonight and think it is a godsend. Although I feel extremely lucky to have health insurance, going to an actual in-the-flesh doctor can be more stress-inducing than being ill. I sure do miss the compassionate medicine I once remember receiving. Anyway, thanks again.
KAKH
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Fri Feb 11, 2005 10:50 pm

User avatar Dear Kakh,

Neck pain and dizziness can be related. Arteries carrying blood to the posterior part of the brain actually run in the vertebrae of the cervical spine. If a patient has severe arthritis of the neck with osteophytes formation (bone appendages caused by arthritis), these osteophytes can impinge on the space occupied by the blood vessels and the blood supply to the posterior part of the brain is affected and this might result in a feeling of vertigo and dizziness.

i don't think that this is the reason in your case because of your young age as this condition is most commonly seen in the elderly population.

This pain could be related to your work if you carry heavy objects on your shoulder for prolonged periods or drag heavy objects behind you or if you sit on the computer for very long hours and sit in an unhealthy fashion.

As a patient, you can ask for an mri and if the doctor thinks it is indicated or warranted, it can be done. You can discuss this with your doctor.

Regarding the dizziness, it can be caused by ear problems especially if it is accompanied by tinnitus (ringing in the ears) and it can continue to linger for quite a long period of time. Have you tried any medication for it? And if yes, did it make your symptoms better?

|