Forum Name: Valvular Heart Diseases

Question: Abnormal Echocardiogram

kaka - Sun Jan 23, 2005 11:44 pm

Hi.
I just turned 41 in November 2004. I went to one of those Healthfares and had the 7 tests done. Basically, they do an Echocardiogram, EKG, test for abdominal aneurysms, aortic aneurysms, hardening of the arteries and osteoporsis. Everything came back normal except an abnormal reading on the echocardiogram. They said to see my doctor for further evaluation. From what I gather from the report, it says mild valvular abnormality of the mitral valve and the tricuspid valve. I have asked dr.'s in the past to check out my heart because I would get flutters or an irregular beat every once in a while, but none would go further than doing an EKG, and when that turned out normal, they said no further testing was needed. I don't know how long I have had this and what it means or how I got it. What am I in for? Can anyone help. I would also like to add that I have been under extreme stress for the past 3 years. I was just getting back to normal and now I hear this news. Can stress cause this? Thanks.
 maestro300 - Mon Jan 24, 2005 12:34 am

Did the report mention mild valve regurgitation of the mitral/tricuspid? If so, this is generally a pretty normal finding on normal people. However, it is hard to tell from your post if they were referring to the actual valve itself (2d views) or just what the echo-doppler showed. I have trivial/mild regurgitation of three of my valves and have been coined as "normal" You should get your doctor to see the echo report though.

Mike
 kaka - Mon Jan 24, 2005 12:41 am

Thanks for your reply Mike. I am just looking at these papers again and it just as checked off that the echocardiogram was abnormal and the boxes checked off are Mitral/Mild and Tricuspid/Mild. I don't even know if it regurgitation or not. It does have something written next to Estimated Ejection Fraction, but I can't make out the numbers. It looks like 62 but then something is written next to it, I don't know if its a letter, number or what. What a bogus report. Also, on the EKG paper which has all my stats on top, there is a line crossed out that says "Abnormal repoloarization possible coronary ischemia". This is freaking me out!! Why was this inputted by the computer obviously and then crossed out by whoever was reading it. I'm going to have a heart attack just worrying about this until I can get an appointment with my dr. I've already had an axiety attack today over it.
 maestro300 - Mon Jan 24, 2005 12:20 pm

I guess it really depends on who did the echocardiogram. It really needs a doctor to interpret the results. The full echo report should show more information like how your valves look/and the amount of insufficiency (if noted) It sounds like they found mild regurgitation of both valves (and again is pretty normal unless the valves/chambers show otherwise) It's important to have a doctor get the full echo or have them send you the full echocardiogram results-- what you are seeing is most likely not the complete report. Also on the note of EKG's (and I'm no doctor so this is just my opinion) they will often misinterpret information and the echocardiogram will confirm/deny those results. A possibility is the echo showed this was denied, hence they crossed it out on the EKG.

Anyways the reason I'm replying is because I was really worried about my echo results at one time. It listed trivial regurgitation of my aortic/mitral and mild on my tricuspid... however the rest of my echo was fine (normal chambers/valves) so they said this is just something that happens in normal people (and newer echos are very sensitive in this finding)

I would still have a doctor interpret your full echo or have a serial echo done to verify what they are talking about as it is quite vague.
 kaka - Mon Jan 24, 2005 12:58 pm

Thank you Maestro. They did give me the three ultrasound photos of what I guess are the Echo. The EKG says Interpretation (Unconfirmed). Normal Sinus Rythym and the what is crossed out is the Abnormal Reploarization, possible coronary ischemia. I know I have to get to a doctor. I just have no health insurance right now, of course. I won't be getting it until June! I was just wondering if this was something that could wait until June, or if I have had this my whole life or if it is something that happens suddenly. I understand your being upset about your past echo, that is exactly how I feel.
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Fri Jan 28, 2005 7:56 pm

User avatar Dear Kaka,

i completely agree with what Mike said. Most probably there is nothing to worry about.

If this was mild or trivial regurgitation and as found on the echo (there was no other abnormality found, this means that it is not affecting the heart in any matter. So, there is nothing to worry about.

If this was stenosis (narrowing of the valve), it is still not affecting the heart and it takes a long time to affect the heart as well.

In either case, i don't think that this is an emergency and that you need to run to the doctor right away, i think that this could wait till june till you have your health insurance, but the first thing you have to do, is to get this report verified by a doctor.

If you are really worried and you want to be seen by a doctor, i think that there are free clinics in many of the medium sized towns now to provide health care for people who can not afford it. These clinics are usually affiliated with non-profit organizations such as hospitals affiliated with religious organizations such as churches. i think it is worth a trial to look around for one where you live.

About the thing that you could not figure out on the echo report that followed ejection fraction, most probably, this is the percentage "%" sign as in 62%.

About the ekg, computerized machines work according to a mathematical algorithm, many times, it works, many times, it does not. The machine does not put into consideration the other factors that should be considered when an ekg is reviewed. That's why, a doctor has to oversee the report of the machine and then either agrees or disagrees to it. In your case, obviously, whoever reviewed the ekg did not agree with what the ekg machine offered as interpretation.

|