Forum Name: Miscellaneous Cardiology Topics

Question: heart rate and workout

sajmv - Mon Jan 24, 2005 11:14 am

Hello, I am 31 years old and 160lbs.
when i am on the treadmill doing cardio, everyone even the machine suggests a heart rate of 151. but i feel it's too little and easy. is it ok to take it higher may be 160 or 170????
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Tue Jan 25, 2005 4:05 am

This topic has been discussed in this thread. Let me know if you need anything else.
 sajmv - Tue Jan 25, 2005 6:06 pm

thank you so much for the quick reply.

my next question is: is it bad to take my heart rate to 160 and 175? because doing 151for 30 minutes seems too easy for me. or does it work best the heart when it's 151???

since 220-31=189, i guess i can go to 189 wihout any issues correct?

thanx for ur help....
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Wed Jan 26, 2005 1:13 am

User avatar Like I said in the thread listed above: If you are starting an exercise program, aim at the lowest part of your target zone (50 percent) during the first few weeks. Gradually build up to the higher part of your target zone (75 percent). After six months or more of regular exercise, you may be able to exercise comfortably at up to 85 percent of your maximum heart rate. However, you don't have to exercise that hard to stay in shape.
Again, these figures are averages, so use them as general guidelines.

160 would be your 85%. Easy as it may seem a sustained heart rate that high will exhaust the heart.

|