News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Cardiology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Cardiology Answers List

Forum Name: Miscellaneous Cardiology Topics

Question: heart rate and workout

sajmv - Mon Jan 24, 2005 11:14 am

Hello, I am 31 years old and 160lbs.
when i am on the treadmill doing cardio, everyone even the machine suggests a heart rate of 151. but i feel it's too little and easy. is it ok to take it higher may be 160 or 170????
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Tue Jan 25, 2005 4:05 am

User avatar Hello,
This topic has been discussed in this thread. Let me know if you need anything else.
 sajmv - Tue Jan 25, 2005 6:06 pm

thank you so much for the quick reply.

my next question is: is it bad to take my heart rate to 160 and 175? because doing 151for 30 minutes seems too easy for me. or does it work best the heart when it's 151???

since 220-31=189, i guess i can go to 189 wihout any issues correct?

thanx for ur help....
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Wed Jan 26, 2005 1:13 am

User avatar Like I said in the thread listed above: If you are starting an exercise program, aim at the lowest part of your target zone (50 percent) during the first few weeks. Gradually build up to the higher part of your target zone (75 percent). After six months or more of regular exercise, you may be able to exercise comfortably at up to 85 percent of your maximum heart rate. However, you don't have to exercise that hard to stay in shape.
Again, these figures are averages, so use them as general guidelines.

160 would be your 85%. Easy as it may seem a sustained heart rate that high will exhaust the heart.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here