Forum Name: Hypertension

Question: Dilemma: Meds, forgot to take or if I have taken it already.

froshie1 - Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:48 pm

Is it safe to drink your medicines again if you forgot if you have taken them already?

My medicines are the ff: Metoprolol (50mg) and Felodipine (2.5mg).

I'm hypertensive, will it hurt me if i took double the dosage of metoprolol and felodipine or will it hurt me more if in reality I wasn't able to take them for 1 day?
 John Kenyon, CNA - Wed May 13, 2009 11:08 pm

User avatar HI there --

This is a really common problem, and the answer usually depends upon how long it's been since you were supposed to take the drug and what the dose is. The higher the dose, especially of blood pressure medication, the better more problematic it is taking the possible second dose. In your case you're on low-to-moderate doses of two blood pressure meds, so if you're not certain if you've taken the day's dose or not, you should at least wait til halfway through the dosing interal (12 hours), and hopefully this will be at night, so that if the effect is exaggerated (blood pressure low enough to cause weakness, lethargy or light headedness) you will be going to bed anyway and could sleep through it. If you're not certain if you've taken it or not, better to wait at least 12 hours to avoid the doubling up of a dose, vs. not taking it at all, which may or may not present a problem. With beta blockers this is especially sensitive, and I would only risk doubling up at that 12-hour point. Usually it's better to just leave it alone, unless you have morbidly high blood pressure.

Along these same lines, it would be wise to try and develop some sort of system to remind yourself if you've taken your meds or not, like turning the bottle upside down after taking the pill, or leaving a colored sticky note on the medicine cabinet afterward, something that can become a habit, regular practice, to help you know what you've done. It is, for some of us, a real problem. These little tricks can really help avoid having to decide whether or not to risk doubling up. At the doses you're taking it is probably not too bad to do, again, especially if you wait til halfway through the dosing cycle.

I hope this is helpful. Good luck to you.

|