Forum Name: Valvular Heart Diseases

Question: Mitral Valve Prolapse and Dizziness

Renae - Mon Jan 24, 2005 4:34 pm

I am 27 and was diagnosed with mitral valve prolapse a few years ago. I am currently not on any medication for this. I have tried to start working out again and get into better shape. The first time I went to the gym and worked out on the bike and started getting really dizzy. I stopped and it went away pretty soon. The second time, about a week or so later, I went jogging and the same thing happened. Then recently I was jumping on the trampoilne with my kids for a while and got really dizzy. However, this time it took quite a while to go away. It probably lasted for about an hour or two. I used to run cross country and I know what it feels like to be out of shape and winded but this was completely different. I was wondering if it had to do with the MVP. When I was first diagnosed they said it wouldn't really affect my lifestyle and was nothing to worry about. I recently moved and currently do not have a cardiologist. Is this something I need to get looked into? If it is the MVP, what other things can I expect from this? How can I go about starting an exercise program? If anyone could answer these questions for me I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks,
Renae
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Fri Jan 28, 2005 8:18 pm

User avatar Dear Renae,

i don't think that this is related to mitral valve prolapse. i think you have to be evaluated for this dizziness by your regular doctor.

Dizziness has so many causes incuding cardiac and neurological among others.

Please, schedule an appointment to see your doctor.

Thank you very much for using our website http://doctorslounge.com

|