Forum Name: Hypertension

Question: High BP meds and male "enhancement" products

azbobc - Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:57 pm

I've had high BP for several years (159/105) that I tried to control by proper food and diet, but it just wasn't improving. So I recently went to the doctor, he prescribed Lipitor/ 20mg for the high BP and Benazepril HCL/ 10mg to help lower my cholesterol. During this same time I ordered some EXTENZE because my wife and I thought it might be 'interesting' to test out an enhancement product.... My question is, can I safely take the Extenze while at the same time taking my BP meds?
 John Kenyon, CNA - Wed May 13, 2009 10:56 pm

User avatar Hi there --

First, Lipitor is for control of cholesterol levels and benazepril HCL is an ACE inhibitor (for control of blood pressure) along with a diuretic (to increase elimination of fluid, also to control BP). Now that we've got that part straight, let's get to the Extenze. It is a "natural" supplement, once which contains a number of common plant extracts and the usual things found in non-precription "male enhancement" aids. It is not Viagra, which is, essentially, a blood pressure medication with an interesting side effect. One should not take Viagra along with any blood pressure meds without first consulting the doctor. However, Extenze, which may or may not do anything for you, should not interact with the medications you've been prescribed. There is also no clinical study to support its claims that it might actually work as claimed, and that is something you'll have to find out for yourself. Be aware, however, that the manufacturers are trying to make a buck off something that costs virtually nothing to make, and will encourage you to keep using this if there is any perceived "improvement." Personally I'd rather go with something that is a known quantity and has some clinical studies to back up its claims, but the Extenze probably won't cause any problems, at least in combination with your current medications. Good luck to you with this and please feel free to follow up with us here as needed.

|