News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Cardiology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Cardiology Answers List

Forum Name: Arrhythmias

Question: Heart races while eating

radiohead - Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:25 pm

Let me start off saying that I am a 31 year old male. I exercise regularly (mountain bike) and eat fairly healthy. (was a vegetarian for about 10 years)

About a month ago one day I was eating lunch and I noticed that when I swallowed food, my heart would race for a second and then go back to normal, until I swallowed another bite. It would feel as though my heart was jumping out of my chest. If Im not eating I feel fine. When I excercise I feel fine, no problems.

I have done an EKG which was normal.
The sonogram of my heart was normal.
I have worn a heart monitor for 2 weeks which showed that my heart would race when ever I swallowed food.

I had a endoscopy that showed gastritus and esophogitus. I have been taking Prilosec OTC for a month. I was taking a lot of Advil for headaches so I think I caused damage. Havent touched it in over a month.

I have noticed that liquids don't cause the reaction unless its an ice cold smoothie.
I have been eating soup broth as it doesnt set it off.

I have done some research about the Vagus Nerve. Could this be the culprit? How does this happen (cause) and what is done to test this and remedy this?

Thanks!
 John Kenyon, CNA - Wed May 13, 2009 10:39 pm

User avatar Hi there --

I notice you posted the same question later, on May 11, which has been answered and, in the course of it, I mentioned that a bolus of food, usually cold food, is most often responsible for this reaction. If you'll check that post I think you'll find my best answer there. Please keep the discussion in that particular thread instead of responding in this one, as it will fragment the discussion. I'm glad I saw this one, as it does mention the cold swallow effect I believe I mentioned in the earlier post. Follow up with us there, at the later post, and we can go from there.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here