Forum Name: Ischemic Heart Disease

Question: Dizziness & Bloodshot eyes - any link and should I act?

bookhunter - Tue Jan 25, 2005 5:39 pm

My family on my late mother's side has a distinguished history of heart disease.

I'm 45 male, ideal weight, non-smoker, occasional drinker of wine but no other alcohol/drugs intake apart from daily coffee. Take daily - moderate - exercise, try to do the right things but don't't sleep too well.

I am experiencing occasional slight loss of balance or vertigo on rising from sitting or lying position - about a month now. It doesn't last long, just at the point of movement and for a second or so after but it's a wee bit disconcerting.

Only other unusual thing - I regularly take saunas - 3 or 4 times a week, have done so for many years. Have noticed that in the last couple of months my eyes are bloodshot after being in - very noticeably so and this has never happened before. I don't stay in for long and the temperature is never more than 60 - 70C.

Any connection and do I need to see a consultant?

Many thanks, Ivor
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Sat Jan 29, 2005 6:52 pm

User avatar Dear Ivor,

Dizziness on rising from sitting or lying positions means that your reflex vasoconstriction (that should occur to keep the blood pressure within normal limits to have enough blood going to the tissues like the brain to keep from losing conssciousness or being dizzy) is not as good as it was when you were younger.

You just have to rise from either position slower you normally do.

Regarding your eyes, i don't have an explanation except that your eyes are being irritated by something in there. Ask about anything new that the sauna or you started to use fairly recently.

Please, check your blood pressure.

|