News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Cardiology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Cardiology Answers List

Forum Name: Valvular Heart Diseases

Question: myxomatous mitral valve with mild regurgitation

mmylissaskm - Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:22 pm

Seen two different docs and they said I had a myxomatous mitral valve with mild regurgitation. They both seemed as if this was something common and not to worry about, but I am a little concerned. Can't my valve get worse over time? Any info I would greatly appreciate. I am a 35 year old woman and do get occasional heart palpitations, here are my stats:
Left Ventricle=normal wall thickness, normal size, normal systolic function with ejection fraction of 60%. Normal diastolic function
Left atrium=Normal
Right atrium=normal
Normal right ventricular chamber size
Mitral valve=myxomatous mitral valve with mild regurgitation(ero 0.11 cm2)
Aortic valve=normal
preserved left ventricular chamber size and wall thickness
preserved global left ventricular systolic function at 60%
Thanks,
Melissa
 John Kenyon, CNA - Tue May 05, 2009 8:52 pm

User avatar Hi Melissa --

Your concern is certainly reasonable. This condition is fairly common, and often remains stable for long periods, sometimes forever. It does need to be followed on a regular basis, however, even though right now it's not causing any problems, not counting the palpitations, which are pretty normal for everyone. Myxomatous valve disease (usually of the mitral valve) can, depending upon the underlying cause, progress, and so needs to be evaluated periodically. If it stays good, then great. If not, then it needs to be followed more frequently with an eye toward repair or replacement. Your doctor is technically right not to be concerned now, because now it is fine. He is likely looking to avoid unnecessarily upsetting you, since it could remain fine indefinitely. Even some mild progression might well not cause any problems. If in the future it gets to the point where regurgitation is significant you'll likely be aware of it before it's seen on exam anyway. Meanwhile, I would treat it as just a finding, not obsess or worry over it, just be aware there is a potential future problem and treat the followups over time as a maintainance issue. This is the most productive approach, since it is fine now and could well remain that way, and should not go bad over night, but if at all, could take years to get to the point where it's a problem, and the potential problems are eminently treatable now.

I hope this answers your concerns. Please follow up with us if you have any further questions or if there is anything new that comes up. Good luck to you.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here