News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Cardiology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Cardiology Answers List

Forum Name: Cardiology Symptoms

Question: Non rest / Non exercising heart rate

lucidity03 - Wed Jan 26, 2005 11:04 am

I have done much research on what a normal heart rate is.
I can find what it's supposed to be when you're exercising.
I can find what it's supposed to be at rest.

But, what about during those in-between times?

Like when I run up a flight of stairs and fold laundry? Or, when I'm doing the dishes?

I'm currently on Cardizem CD (for my PSVT - no attacks since hospital... I've been off the Lopressor for months).... I notice that when I wake up in the morning (the longest time since the cardizem has been last taken) that my heart may be at 115-120 when I'm brushing my teeth and getting dressed. On some mornings it's lower and on others, it may be a little higher.

I never actually notice the heart beating, I only consciously take it out of curiosity (since I'm paranoid ever since my hospital visit).

I mentioned it to my cardiologist and he wasn't concerned. But, I never got an answer to what is normal for light to moderate activity (even like taking a shower).

Is there an average? Does 120bpm sound high for those activities (when resting is usually in the 70s and 80s).

When I'm on the treadmill, the heart acts normal and only seems to go to 120 half the time...

It always goes back to normal after resting for a minute or two.

Thanks!
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Sat Mar 05, 2005 5:50 pm

User avatar Dear Lucidity03,

It differs from person to person.

In cases of professional athletes, the resting heart rate is usually on the slower side of normal and there were reports that some of them have even slower than normal pulse.

When there is a transition from rest to strenuous exercise, the heart rate goes very high very fast, but when you start a mild exercise, it goes high but at a slower rate and as far as i know, there is no mention of how much the heart rate is expected to go up when a person starts mild to moderate exercise for a short period of time.

120 is an accepted heart rate when you start at 70-80. Put in mind that you are on cardizem and this will make your heart rate even slower which is some patients don't tolerate if they need higher heart rates while they are exercising.

Heart rate going down quickly after exercise is a sign of being physically fit.

Thank you very much for using our website http://doctorslounge.com and i hope that this information helped.

Yasser Mokhtar, M.D.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here