Forum Name: Valvular Heart Diseases

Question: I have been diagnosed with MVP,MVR,CAD and very worried

sslewy1 - Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:26 pm

I am a 39 yr old female recently diagnosed with MVR,MVP,CAD.I have constant headaches and chest pain, shortness of breath,dizziness,nausea.I am worried what further complications will come up.I have questions How likely is it that i can have a heart attack? My cholesterol level was only a 202 and my triglycerides were borderline i always watch what i eat but as for stress i am overloaded.I don't want to die at 40 please help me understand.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Sat May 02, 2009 10:15 pm

FIrst it is important to start your stress management program (you didn't know you had one, did you?) by not allowing concern over this set of diagnoses upset you and cause you additional stress. Now then:

MVP is extremely common and, as a rule, extremely benign. That, in itself, is not usually a cause for concern unless it causes unacceptable and upsetting symptoms, which it often does, especially anxiety. Second, it is often associated with MVR, but you haven't given us specifics on this particular issue. A certain amount of trivial MVR is very common and only significant MVR is a concern. Finally, you say you've been diagnosed with CAD, and could you please fill us in on how this diagnosis was reached? Did you have a nuclear scan stress test? I have to assume you've had an echocardiogram or there'd be no way to be certain of the MVP and MVR. If you've had an echo perhaps you have the report and could relay some of the details from it? That would be helpful.

As for the most troubling finding, that of CAD, I'm wondering just what this actually constitutes and to what degree. Any details you can add as to how the diagnosis was reached and what details were given would help both you and us, since sometimes things are stated in a way that's more alarming than it needs to be or perhaps often totally misunderstood. Also, sometimes the diagnosis is simply wrong. I'm not saying that's the case this time, because I don't know enough details. It's certainly not impossible for an otherwise healthy young woman to have CAD, but it is less likely than in someone who is post-menopausal.

Your overall cholesterol level was fine for a person with no heart disease, but a breakdown of the components would also be helpful. I'm just a little dubious about the diagnoses, and I'm not even sure why. Can you describe the character of your chest pains, the location, and when and how they are triggered? All this stuff is very important in sorting out what you've been told. Finally, while it's not impossible to have a heart attack, even when in apparent good health, having any of the problems you've mentioned does not mean you will have one, nor that you'll die of heart disease. It is worrisome, and it needs to be clarified. I guess the fact that you seem to have been given so few helpful details is what makes me wonder if there hasn't been a snap diagnosis or maybe there's been some miscommunication. I'd like to help clear that up if I can. Please follow up with us and in the meantime do everything you can to relax and lower your stress and anxiety levels.

I hope this is helpful. Please do follow up with us at your earliest convenience and fill in as many blanks as you can. I'd really like to help more. Good luck to you and hope to hear from you soon.
 sslewy1 - Fri May 08, 2009 1:03 am

I was diagnosed after several tests including Stress Test,Echo,CTA,X-Rays.I had gone to the ER on Feb 4-09 with chest pains from there went to my family Dr. and she set me up with a Cardiologist.Went through testing and the conclusion was CAD i know i'm young thats what he said but this is what i have to deal with i have family history of heart problems but nothing to this extreme.The pain is on left side of chest generating from middle,under ribcage, left shoulder blade,left arm,and left side of neck causing extreme headaches.I only know that my cholesterol was a 202 and my triglycerides were borderline.I guess my main concern is by my having the MVR,MVP will this cause problems with the CAD? Is CAD able to be corrected or will i always have concerns and have to see a cardiologist? Just worried and tired of feeling like poop.Thanks for your response

|