Forum Name: Diseases of the Aorta

Question: SVT related to Marfan?

amekaze - Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:27 pm

I am a 20 year old female. The only known issues any of my family members have is diabetes in my Grandfather. I don't drink or smoke or do drugs of any sort. I have been physically fit my entire life with a very few problems that have sent me to the doctors. In 2007 I had an SVT. No source or reason was found. I have had severely flat feet and required special made orthodics.
Recently I have been to the doctors with sharp chest pains on my right side when breathing randomly over a few years. My doctor confirmed a chest wall deformity and I had an X ray and CT scan. I don't know what he is looking for because I don't have the results yet. I have been doing my own research and would bet all the money in the world I have Pectus Caritum. All my symptoms fit but it does not explain the sharp pain. Upon further research I am suspicious of my having Marfan syndrome. Physically I match descriptions. And that conclusion would explain the few health problems I have ever had that no one could explain.
My question is (sorry it took so long), could an SVT with no known cause be a sign or related to Marfan?

Any info would be great!
Thanks,
Amekaze
 John Kenyon, CNA - Sun May 03, 2009 9:35 pm

User avatar Hi there --

First, if you have a significant number of Markers for Markan's you should be screend for the syndrome, and also for Ehlers-Danlos disease, which is a similar disorder, but is more often characterized in part by flat feet. You may, of course, not have either, and usually there has been some family history of either, although it could be several generations back.

To answer your question, arrhythmias are more common with Marfan's than in the general population, but even without Marfan's, people who are tall and slim, with longer-than-normal long bones and digits, and with various chest wall abnormalities, are for some reason more prone to these arrhythmias, including SVT. However, these same people are also more likely to have some degree of mitral valve prolapse, which is also associatated with a higher incidence of SVT, for unclear reasons. At any rate, the one thing must be managed (SVT) on its own, whether or not a connective tissue disease is present.

MVP is seen in most Marfan's subjects. Therefore, at least indirectly, yes, SVT could be related to Marfan's. Even if it's not, however, it needs to be addressed if it causes problems for you.

I hope this answers your question. Please follow up with us here as needed. Good luck to you, and please update us as you learn more.

|