Forum Name: Heart Failure

Question: ruptured congenial aneurysm in the left renal artery

edsbrod4ever - Fri May 01, 2009 5:46 pm

What does cause of death due to a ruptured congenial aneurysm in the left renal artery mean. My sister dies about 6 weeks ago in her sleep at the age of 42 and never had any health problems except for a fallen bladder. I am confused does this have to do with the heart or the kidneys. Thanks for your help
 John Kenyon, CNA - Tue May 12, 2009 10:32 pm

First, my sincerest sympathies regarding the loss of your sister. This had to be a tremendous shock and I am terribly sorry.

What happened to your sister was that an abnormality in a renal artery, probably present early in life, caused a problem that would rarely produce any symptoms and so would not have likely been discovered except by accident or blind luck. These things are very rare, and so virtually impossible to predict. It is not a heart problem, but also not a problem of the kidney, but rather a vascular one, a defect of the renal artery that happened to service one kidney, and which branches directly off the aorta, the largest blood vessel in the body. This could be due to a familial trait of some sort, and just to be safe, any siblings, you included, should be screened by ultrasound for a possible aortic aneurysm, which is where most of these form, with the very rare exception of one in one of the renal branches.

I hope this helps answer your question and please follow up here with any other questions you may have. Again, my deepest sympathies for your loss. Good luck to you.

|