Question: Chest pains / Anxiety

jlsteeler - Thu Jan 27, 2005 9:08 pm

Well this all started a couple of years ago. On the way home from work I had what felt like a huge pressure pushing in the center of my chest, no difficulty breathing. I was terrified and I had my wife take me to the emergency room. I had a normal ecg but they held me overnight running my enzymes which all came back normal as well. As a precauition they also ran a stress test the next morning which also came back normal.
About a few months later I was driving to work and got an intense burning sensation in my back and I broke out in a sweat. I drove myself to the emergency room. I told them of my previous visit and this time they ran a nuclear stress test which came back normal.Over the next year I had about 4 more trips to the emergency room which all ended up with a clear bill of health and each time I was told it was a panic attack. At the suggestion of my physician ( to calm my nerves ) I made an appointment with a cardiologist who ran another nuclear stress test ( about 13 months after the first one ) which came back normal as well. I had a follow up with him six months later which was fine and he asked me to make another appointment in a year.
Well for the past week and a half I have been getting random pains throughout my chest, back and arms. It started when I was away on business for two weeks and everyone came down with the flu. During this time I was getting very hot in my back, neck, arms and head. It would come on very quickly and then last for about 10 to 15 minutes. This went on for two days, stopped and then came back for one night. That was a week ago and it hasn't happened since. The next few days my stomach was a little upset and I was getting a funny sensation in my chest. I haven't had any difficuly breathing or nausua associated with the heat or funny sensation. Tonight on the way home from work I was getting sharp pains in my chest that lasted only a second ot two however they were located both to the left and right of the center of my chest. I just get so fixated on these things and I let my mind run.... I actually tried to see my primary care physician yesterday but he was away and I saw the covering physician instead. He ordered some blood work which all came back normal with the exception of my cholesterol which was a little hjgh (231). I'm 38 years old I've never smoked, I'm currently dieting however I am about 70lbs overweight. Diabetes runs in my family however I'm not diabetic.
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Thu Feb 24, 2005 11:19 pm

User avatar Dear jlsteeler,

To determine whether or not chest pain is due to coronary disease, risk factors that the patient has for coronary disease and characteristics of the chest pain are evaluated. You have 1 major risk factor for coronary disease, which is being a male. You don't have high blood pressure, diabetes, you did not mention that you smoke or drink and your total cholesterol is not that elevated and a better measurement would be of the ldl (known as the bad cholesterol) and the hdl (known as the good cholesterol). The chest pain characteristics the first time had some typical features so i think it was a very good idea to have a stress test done before you left the hospital. But since then you had 2 nuclear scans that were normal. So, you don't have coronary disease.

The chest pain that you had this last time is actually atypical as compared to the pain caused by coronary disease. So, you only have one major risk factor and the chest pain that you had this last time is atypical so this pain is not caused by coronary disease and on top you had 2 nuclear scans that were negative. This means one thing, that you don't have coronary disease.

i think that all these problems are related to your neck spine problems.

|