Question: Neurocardiogenic Syncope

sanhogg - Sat May 02, 2009 1:23 pm

I was diagnosed in 2005 with Neurocardiogenic Syncope, I was given a tilt table test and didnt pass out in 2008, since then over the last year i have been given heart abalation, several stress test, echocardiograms, heart catherzations, and an ep study and diffrent medications ive saw several mds and heart doctors and even a neuroligist. I was a prison officer until 2 weeks ago when my fainting spells increased and started coming without notice, I have several concusions several teeth knocked out and wrecked a car, and ive passed out inside the instituation twice. My electrophysiologist diagnosed my in 2005 and is the one who medically retired me last week. He found no reason for a pace maker during the ep study, abd place a loop recorder in my chest last week. Im afraid to drive or even walk.
How can i have the disease and pass the tilt table test? Do I have options?
 John Kenyon, CNA - Tue May 12, 2009 1:27 pm

Since you've passed the tilt table test even with a diagnosis of NCS and since you've also had at least one ablation, I strongly suspect your main problem is a combination of intermittent dysautonomia (causing NCS episodes without prior warning) and possible an electrical problem taking place in conjunction with this. You must have at one time been diagnosed with an arrhythmia of some sort in order to have had it ablated, and it sounds as though it may still be happening. Uusally when fainting episodes are as spontaneous as yours it is due to a long Q-T interval, and this can be managed medically but cannot be ablated. It also can be acquired due to medications being taken or some other exposure or injury. You also may be having a 2nd or 3rd degree heart block occur, which can also cause this sort of spontaneous passing out. It may well be you were diagnosed with NCS based upon symptoms and not the tilt table results, which would be a dangerously off-base way to diagnose and possibly miss somethinig more serious, since NCS is generally easy to manage. You've had a lot more episodes and a lot more injury due to faints than would be normal for someone even who passed out on the tilt table!
I think you may need, first, to curtail your activities until this is clarified, as you could sustain very serious injuries (so could someone else if you're driving with this going on) and second, consider a second opinion, since there are so many more likely electrical causes of what you're experiencing that I very strongly suspect a misdiagnosis. I think you at the least have a primary problem that is electrical, in the heart's conduction system, and that this needs to be explored urgently.

I hope this is helpful to you. Good luck to you, and please be careful til you get this all sorted out. Follow up with us here as needed.

|