News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Cardiology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Cardiology Answers List

Forum Name: Cardiology Symptoms

Question: Chest Pain...

sjlong_ga - Fri Jan 28, 2005 2:42 pm

I have been having some chest pains for the last couple of weeks. It is a sharp, achy feel...and seems as if there is a pulling action. My left fingers ache on occasion when this is happening...and sometimes my left arm hurts a little (again...nothing really bothersome..but in conjunction with the chest pain and location..troublesome). The pain is not excruiating by any means...and I wouldn't even notice it were it not for the locations. I have been to the hospital and my tests came back okay (I think something to do with enzymes)...I had x-rays...they were cleared as far as I know...and then my general practioner did a stress test (no carthatization). The stress test was okay although I did seem to beat twice in rapid succession every once in a while (I have periodic times where I feel like I missed a breath...and my chest is fluttering...but have had those for a while and seems to run in my family a bit). I also have had problems with my calves when running for eight years...they tighten up almost as if someone put a tourniquet below my knees (similar to what your fingertip looks like if you wrap a rubberband around it)...after a bit of running (used to be almost 3 or 4 miles...now is more likely 1/2 to 1 mile and I tighten up...but that could be because I wasn't running as much as well). The pain in my calves can be excruiating at times (sharp...typically in the "hollow" right between my ankle, achilles and heel)...and other times feels as all the muscles are cramping. My blood vessels pop out the side of my legs and if running through grass...it feels like cold water is running down the outside of my leg (It feels as if a nerve is exposed...as I can tap in the right place, outside of leg...between 3 & 5 inches above my ankles, and it feels like I'm being mildly shocked. The pain/cramping/swelling stops when I'm not running (it doesn't do it really if I do elliptical machine or stairmaster) I am not sure if the two are related but thought that they could be. I also have problems with digestion but the Privosec (spelling?) my doctor prescribed hasn't stopped the periodic chest pain. I also am on Synthroid for an underactive thyroid.

I tried to include anything that I thought might be of some help...and I thank you for any advice in advance.
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Fri Feb 25, 2005 12:14 pm

User avatar Dear sjlong_ga,

You have two major risk factors for coronary disease, being a male and smoking. Your chest pain does not sound typical, so your probability of having chest pain is low. You had a negative stress test. So, most probably, the chest pain is not due to coronary disease.

The chest pain that you are having is most probably related to the trauma that you had in the past.

i have a bias, if a patient has chest pain and he has a negative stress test, i would like this patient to have a neck x-ray/ct scan to rule out cervical spine problems which can be the cause of the chest pain.

The symptoms that you are complaining in your leg is most probably due to not exercising on regular basis and not having an exercise program.

If you have pain in your calves that make you stop running or walking, this could be peripheral vascular disease but i don't think that your symptoms are typical.

i would strongly encourage you to stop smoking and drinking.

Thank you very much for using our website http://doctorslounge.com and i hope that this information helped.

Yasser Mokhtar, M.D.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here