Question: Echo shows ASD, additional abnormal holter reading

lgl - Sun May 03, 2009 7:03 am

I went in a week ago with what I thought was anxiety and migraines. The doctor did an EKG and said it was abnormal. SHe ordered a Holter Monitor (Monday) and an Echo (Tuesday) along with blood work. Blood came back normal. The Echo shows "A Defect in the Septum of my Atria". There is an additional abnormality in the holter results, which I have not been told about. The nurse said the Cardiologist would go over that. They made the equivilent of an emergency appointment for me tomorrow with the Cardiologist. What does all of this mean?
 John Kenyon, CNA - Tue May 12, 2009 1:18 pm

First, ASD is frequently associated with migraine, for reasons that are not entirely clear. It is also associated with other sometimes odd groupings of syndromes, including certain arrhythmias, again not always clearly understood. Since you were not told anything which would explain the Holter monitor findings, this could be anything from a heart block, arrhytmia, or even some remote and unrelated ischemia due to heart coronary artery disease (please consider you have two very significant risk factors for this in your pack-a-day habit and your rather significant intake of alcohol, both of which can cause separate but often symbiotic damage to the heart aside from the ASD, which is congenital). Since the cardiology appointment was made urgently, I suspect a potetially significant arrhythmia or block (more likely) was noted, and doctor is being very responsible in wanting to get on top of it before it starts causing problems.

Please follow up with us post-cardiology consult and give us an update. We can probably give you more insights once we know what was found and why it was considered to be urgent. Good luck to you. We'll be looking to hear more soon.

|