Question: Chest feels very tight

jmoon1127 - Fri Jan 28, 2005 11:13 pm

I am 19 years old and for the past 2 weeks I have been expiriencing some wierd heart pains. The pains comes and goes in waves. When they come it feels like my chest is very tight, like someone is stepping on my chest, I feel short of breath. My heart has a full feeling. It feels like it is working really hard and it needs to beat fast but it beats normal. The other day I went for a run, I couldnt run very long, and when I sat down the rest it took my heart a long time to come back down to a normal heart beat. The pains are wierd and are starting to scare me. I am trying to get to the doctor but I have to wait for my insurance to go through. Does anyone know what this could be??

Jessica
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Fri Feb 25, 2005 12:35 pm

User avatar Dear Jessica,

Females of the child bearing age are protected against coronary disease unless they have had multiple major risk factors for a long time. So, the pain that you are having is most probably not related to coronary disease.

i think that what you are complaining from sounds to me more like palpitations rather than chest pain.

Chest pain in the young has multiple causes, one of the most common causes in the young females is a condition called mitral valve prolapse which needs to be followed-up only.

i would advise you to see your doctor and discuss the possibility of having an echocardiogram with him to rule this condition out. Also, if possible, have a thyroid blood test done.

|