News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Cardiology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Cardiology Answers List

Forum Name: Cardiology Symptoms

Question: Chest feels very tight

jmoon1127 - Fri Jan 28, 2005 11:13 pm

I am 19 years old and for the past 2 weeks I have been expiriencing some wierd heart pains. The pains comes and goes in waves. When they come it feels like my chest is very tight, like someone is stepping on my chest, I feel short of breath. My heart has a full feeling. It feels like it is working really hard and it needs to beat fast but it beats normal. The other day I went for a run, I couldnt run very long, and when I sat down the rest it took my heart a long time to come back down to a normal heart beat. The pains are wierd and are starting to scare me. I am trying to get to the doctor but I have to wait for my insurance to go through. Does anyone know what this could be??

Jessica
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Fri Feb 25, 2005 12:35 pm

User avatar Dear Jessica,

Females of the child bearing age are protected against coronary disease unless they have had multiple major risk factors for a long time. So, the pain that you are having is most probably not related to coronary disease.

i think that what you are complaining from sounds to me more like palpitations rather than chest pain.

Chest pain in the young has multiple causes, one of the most common causes in the young females is a condition called mitral valve prolapse which needs to be followed-up only.

i would advise you to see your doctor and discuss the possibility of having an echocardiogram with him to rule this condition out. Also, if possible, have a thyroid blood test done.

Thank you very much for using our website http://doctorslounge.com and i hope that this information helped.

Yasser Mokhtar, M.D.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here