Forum Name: Heart Failure

Question: Congestive heart failure in young persons

pokey - Sat Jan 29, 2005 5:49 pm

My mother was diagnosed with congestive heart failure 3 years ago, and i was told by a cardiologist that i have a 50 percent chance of inheriting this disease, i am a 22 year old female and today i was excercising when I noticed my heart skipping alot of beats and kept on changing rhythms, can this be related to my mothers disease and for more background her brother also has this disease and two of her cousins also had it and were given heart transplants in there 20's.
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Sat Jan 29, 2005 7:17 pm

User avatar Dear Pokey,

If your mother has dilated cardiomyopathy, there is an entity known as familial dilated cardiomyopathy. The chances of inheriting it is about 25-50% depending on the type of inheritence. If inheritence is dominant, then the chance is 50%, if it is recessive it is 25%.

Since you started to have cardiac symptoms, i would suggest that you be evaluated by a cardiologist or at least get an echocardiogram to have a base line echo where the size of the left ventricle and the ejection fraction are estimated.

|