Forum Name: Miscellaneous Cardiology Topics

Question: possible Kawasaki disease?

nickers7879 - Wed May 06, 2009 8:08 am

I have growing concern my 3yr old son may have kawasaki disease.
He has high temperatures for 6 days straight ranging from 38.5-40degrees.
in the past 6 days he has vomitted twice (but not since Saturday)
Nurofen and panadol take his temp down somewhat and as it starts to wear off it spikes back up again.
We have been to a medical centre on day 2 and told it was viral.
We end up taking him to hospital on day 3 and again told it was viral (only spent 3hrs there and he perked up again)
we have taken him to our local gp twice on day 4 & 5.
I was told he now has a throat infection and given anti B's.
When his temp is up his eyes are red are glassy, he is extremly lethargic.
when he comes down from his temp he gets the shivers and his hands and feet go blue.
He has had a urine sample which was clear and no protein etc.

He has rarely eaten anything in the past week.
Tonight i noticed some peeling on his big toe, not much but knowing this is one of the symptoms my concerns grew.
He hasnt got a rash but tonight noticed a couple of small spots on his trunk.
Tonight his lips also looked a little reder.
he will not let me look into his mouth or poke out his tounge but he has had bad breath and doing a funny thing with his tounge and liking his bottom lip a lot.He is keeping up his fluids but not urinating very much at all (gone 9hrs between toilets a few times now)

Tomorrow morning we are getting a blood test but then have to wait a further day for results.
I appreciate any extra advise you can give to me, my other conern was if he could have phuemonia, its just doesnt seem like a simple 48hr bug or viral infection

something tells me things aren't right, he has had this consistant temperature for too long and panadol only subsides it for a few hours then he goes downhill again.
How many times do i need to take him to the gp or hospital and keep being sent home and see him going down hill again.
(he was born prematurily at 33wks so i do not know if this has any added risks)
 John Kenyon, CNA - Mon May 11, 2009 10:09 pm

While there is no definitive test for diagnosis of Kawasaki disease, there are certain tests which, in relation with very careful evaluation of symptoms and signs, the disease is diagnosed by default. Meanwhile, if four or more of the classic symptoms are present and treatment can begin within at least 10 days of the onset, the disease has a very good outcome and cure rate. If it goes untreated for much longer, the potential for serious complications starts to mount, so very often the child will be treated pre-emptively, which is the best approach. This is what you may expect, then, since you will still be within the window of opportunity for a total cure.

The symptoms your child exhibits are very suspicious of Kawasaki, and if I were you I would be very aggressive in seeking pre-emptive treatment just to be safe. I can't really suggest anything else, since you already have all the facts and the diagnosis-by-default is likely unless another viral disease can be positively identified. I doubt this will be the case.

Good luck to you and please keep us updated as to the progress with this.

|