News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Cardiology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Cardiology Answers List

Forum Name: Cardiology Symptoms

Question: Alcohol related chest pain vs Hyperventilation Syndrome

trip714 - Mon Jan 31, 2005 9:47 am

I have been experiencing Hyperventilation Syndrome type symptoms for a few weeks now with light sometimes sharp chest pains
I did go to er because the chest pains seem to radiate sometimes down the left arm, but in ER they said I was perfectly healthy after blood work and an ECG and sent me on my way. An
example I was awoken the other night kind of startling feeling with some sharp left arm pain after awhile pain was gone but every time I fell asleep I was immediately awoken again with a starling feeling with some light chest pain...I did just recently stop drinking and smoking I was always a light smoker but the last two years my beer drinking was pretty heavy.
Any ideas?
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Tue Mar 01, 2005 4:24 pm

User avatar Dear trip714,

You have a couple of major risk factors for coronary disease. But your pain does not sound typical as compared to that of coronary disease. The probability that this pain might be due to coronary disease is low.

i recommend that you talk to your doctor about this pain to do further work-up.

i think you should also have a neck x-ray/ct scan to exclude neck problems.

i think you should stop smoking and drinking. Please, ask your doctor to help with cessation of drinking because if you stop drinking suddenly, you might have withdrawal since you have been drinking heavier than usual lately.

Thank you very much for using our website http://doctorslounge.com and i hope that this information helped.

Yasser Mokhtar, M.D.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here