News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Cardiology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Cardiology Answers List

Forum Name: Ischemic Heart Disease

Question: brief discomfort in center of chest on waking

JohnnyAlpha8 - Wed May 06, 2009 5:56 pm

Hi I am a 36 years old male, I've had a week off work recently for the Japanese national holiday 'Golden Week', I have just been inactiuve lounging around at home, over the past few days.

When I wake up in the morning, I sense a discomfort in the center of my chest.It goes away after a few seconds, it does not spread to other areas of my chest.

Also 2 days ago, I noticed a kind of pressure in my chest, that occured about a minute after going from a lying to a standing position. This happpened consistently that day each time I went from lying to standing. It hasn't happened today or yesterday.

I went jogging yesterday and today for 20 minutes, and that did not cause any discomfort.

My blood pressure is normal. I should also mention that I had bronchitis from March to mid April this year, and was coughing everyday.

I am concerned as my family has a history of heart disease and heart attacks on my Father's side.

Do you think my problem is heart related?

Thank you very much in advance.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Mon May 11, 2009 8:50 pm

User avatar Hello --

Your chest discomfort isn't consistent with any typical presentation of heart disease, but it is consistent with a certain orthopedic problem: costochondritis. This is usually caused by an inflammatory process involving the colagen connective tissue between the ribs and the breast bone. This can also be caused by strain from coughing and sometimes becomes chronic. It is usually felt most upon rising in the morning and just as you describe. This usually will respond well to over-the-counter anti-inflammatories such as ibuprofin or naproxyn, but may sometimes be stubborn.

Where heart disease is concerned, because you do have a positive family history for this, you are wise to be watchful, and now would be as good a time as any for a baseline workup, but what you're experiencing right now is almost certainly musculo-skeletal and benign.

I hope this is helpful to you. Good luck, and please follow up with us as needed.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here