Forum Name: Valvular Heart Diseases

Question: Hypothyroidism and heart symptoms

madhunt - Mon Jan 31, 2005 7:50 pm

I am 37 year old female. I have been having chest pains, numbness, mild high blood pressure (151/100). I am tired all the time and have shortness of breath. People are always asking my why I am breathing hard. I have hypothyroidism.

Heart disease runs on my father's side of the family. One uncle died of a massive heart attack, another uncle has had two close calls with heart attacks, my grandmother had valve replacement and my father has had blockage removed two or three times.

In August 04, my doctor scheduled an echo which showed mild MVP, and arotic valve suffienency. He put me on blood pressure meds to see if it would help. I had another echo done in January 05, the results were the same. The doctor changed my blood pressure medicine and told me to have another echo in three months.

Meanwhile, I am still tired, hurting and now coughing. The doctor thinks the coughing is coming from the medicine. I am a Office Manager and when I get home (6-7pm) I only have enough energy to make it to the bed. I have tried making myself stay up and do house chores but I usually have no strength and run out of breath fast. I also have started taking Tai Chi twice a week hoping it will help. I do good to make it through the warm ups.

I am worried, due to the family history and concerned because I feel I am too young to feel this way. Are there any questions other procedures my doctor should be doing? Are there any questions, I should be asking my doctor? How much time is enough time to go to the next step?

HELP!
 Theresa Jones, RN - Wed Feb 02, 2005 6:13 pm

User avatar Hi madhunt,
An echo is an excellent noninvasive procedure that shows the hearts pumping efficiency, size and shape of the heart and vavular abnormalities. My questions for you taking into consideration your symptoms and since you have a significant family history of heart disease has any lab work, stress test, heart catherization, etc. ever been mentioned? What medication are you on? Have you been referred to a cardiologist? My apologies for the many questions......In my opinion, since your symptoms are worsening it would be wise to inquire about the other options.
 madhunt - Sun Feb 06, 2005 8:45 pm

Thank you for responding

I had a stress test done approx 5-6 years ago. The results showed a mild mitral valve prolapse. I had a heart cath done in the summer of 2004. This also showed MVP. At this time blood work was done and everything was okay, per the doctor. He started me on acid reflux meds.

Last week I went to the doctor for a cough (or tickle) I have in my throat. He said it was from the blood pressure meds so he changed the medicine. I still have this cough. In fact I wake up in the night feeling as though I am choking.

There is a constant pressure on my chest and aching in the arms. The pressure is not bad just enough to be annoying. My shortness of breath is gradually getting worse.

Currently I am taking synthroid, propulsid, zelnorm, Straterra, zoloft and Cozaar.

And, no, I have not been referred to a doctor.

Thanks again for responding.
 Theresa Jones, RN - Mon Feb 07, 2005 4:44 am

User avatar Hi madhunt,
Another couple of questions for you, do you have any swelling of the legs and feet? Have you noticed any significant weight gain?
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Mon Feb 07, 2005 10:10 pm

User avatar Dear Laurie,

The cough that you are describing is most probably related to your acid reflux disease.

Shortness of breath can be caused by many things, starting with being physically unfit and ending with heart failure and lung failure.

It sounds from what you said that besides having mitral valve prolapse and aortic insufficiency, there were no other abnormalities. This does not exclude the heart as the reason behind your shortness of breath but makes it very low on the list. Mention the worsening in your symptoms to your doctor in the next visit.

Being tired all the time can be related to you not receiving enough synthroid, when was the last time your tsh was checked to make sure you are taking the right dose?

madhunt - Thu Feb 17, 2005 11:49 pm

My feet swell and legs aches (like growing pains when I was a child)but I do not have weight gain. It has been over a year since I have had a tsh test.
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Fri Feb 18, 2005 9:23 am

User avatar Dear Laurie,

i think it is not that bad of an idea to have you tsh level checked and try an antiacid or if you are trying one you can try a different one or have your doctor prescribe you a prescription strength one to see if this will affect your cough and take it especially before you go to sleep.

Having shortness of breath in your case can also be related to your blood pressure not being perfectly controlled, so trying to control your blood pressure better might control your shortness of breath especially during exercise.

You never mentioned what kind of medications you take for your blood pressure control, but like the cough could have been related to the blood pressure medications, the feet swelling and the feeling that you are tired all the time can be caused by some of the blood pressure medications as well, mention that to your doctor as well.

|