Forum Name: Miscellaneous Cardiology Topics

Question: MVP-chest pain getting progressively worse

Fatherseyes6 - Tue Feb 01, 2005 9:58 am

I am 32 years old and I have had periodic chest pains since age 18. I have been to the ER, numerous times for it. I have always been given inflammatory pills , pain pills, and a shot of something. Each and every time I have been told its something different. From costo chrondritis, to anxiety . Each episode is different. Some last just seconds, then maybe a couple days, now presently , I am going on my 3rd week. I have been diagnosed with MVP ( valve prolapse) . I do not believe this to be the cause of the pain , I am exeriencing. It is a very dull constant pain, with periodic exremely sharp stabbing pains in the left side of my chest. In the breast-lung area. This causes difficulty in breathing, and or moving. My concern is I have never seen a specialist for this condition. My family practioner always just guesses it and treats it with pills. Presently, I am taking Cataflam, Soma, with a touch of Xanax. ( for the anxety part of it) None of which are ending the episode. This one inparticular feels as though It will never end. Its constant dull pain , as if something is swollen behind my rib cage. Then all of a sudden I will take a breath, or move, and what feels like a Stabbing shooting pain happens( What I would think A heart attack feels like.) I have never had an episode last this long. But they have definately been alot more frequent this past 6 months. It has been 3 weeks , with a vist to the ER, and a trip to my practioner. I finally have a referral to see a Cardiologist at my insistance. My problem is I need to know what is happening to me. This is a nightmare to live with. What test should I be asking for? What questions should I be asking? Do people really have chest pains like mine, That are not a serious condition? Just something they have to live with? Please tell me what to do..... Thankyou , Jenny.[/b]
 bos617 - Tue Feb 01, 2005 3:05 pm

If you have not had one recently, and electrocardiogram would be a given. Additionally, if you have never had any of the following, you should probably have an exercise stress test, 24-hour Holter monitor (if you have been noticing unusual palpitations or rate variances), and an echocardiogram to check on the status of your MVP. I have been suffering very similar symptoms for the past 7 months constantly (see my previous post from Dec. 04'). Sometimes I even have a mild lightheadedness that goes along with the same chest pain you have described. My doctor has given me the same run-around you are getting with the anxiety and the chostochondritis. They never seem to give too much heed to cardiac warning signals if you are under 45. I am a former medical student who didn't complete his MD due to a great opportunity at the height of the internet bubble and with my limited medical knowledge, I knew my family doctor wasn't taking apporpriate measures b/c of my age of 27. His immediate diagnosis was anxiety, but none of the traditional anxiety remedies have ever done anything for my chest pains. My question for you is how long after you initially started experiencing chest pain symptoms at 18 did it take your doctor to diagnose MVP, and did it take an echocardiogram to do so ?
 Fatherseyes6 - Tue Feb 01, 2005 5:12 pm

Hello there... Yes I have had a ultra sound of the heart-( I forget the appropriate term) That was done at age 30, so it took 12 years before I got sent to get that done and be diagnosed with MVP..( I have only had this doctor for 5 years. ) My chest pains have gotten more frequent over the last 6 months. Years ago it would have only happened about twice a year, now its more like twice a month.

|