News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Cardiology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Cardiology Answers List

Forum Name: Arrhythmias

Question: light headedness, heart palpitations, twitch on left side

sniksder83 - Sat May 09, 2009 10:40 pm

I have light headedness, heart palpitations, and a twitch on the side of my left hand palm beneath my pinky finger. I had a physical last week and I was cleared so I don't understand. The heart palpitations came before the light headedness and twitching and I don't know what's wrong.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Sun May 10, 2009 8:39 pm

User avatar Hello --

You may have nothing in particular going on, and we can reasonably ignore the twitch for now, as it's definitely not cardiac-related. You may also be an anxious person, which means you will be more aware of all these sensations and inclined to wonder if they may all be related (the twitch definitely is not). Further, while the lightheadedness could possibly be related to some heart issue, it's far more likely to be caused by some other issue such as sinus infection, vertigo (inner ear problem) or any one of a number of other innocent things. This can be determined as a rule without too much trouble in the doctor's office. The palpitations are very likely due to normal premature heartbeats which we all have from time to time,but become more aware of them when they increase in frequency or have other things going on at the same time. Anxiety, unfortunately, can also make them increase, although if they are due to premature beats they are no health threat at all. Best thing for you to do would be to run all this by a sympathetic MD who can do a face-to-face office exam, check you for vertigo (and treat if necesary, a very easy thing as a rule), and do a 12-lead EKG to look for anything unusual and put your mind at ease about your heart. Since you recently had a checkup, it may be all that's required is the EKG, but vertigo also should be considered, and anxiety needs to be addressed if it's the cause of this.

The combo of twitching, palpitations and lightheadedness are all classic for anxiety, so this is likely to be brought up. If so, go with it and work at it from that angle, since this is very common, especially in your age group.

I hope this is helpful. Good luck to you and follow up with us here as needed.
 sniksder83 - Mon May 11, 2009 10:33 pm

Thank you very much for the reply as I've seen by your posts you are definitely a great man to offer as much help as you do on this wonderful site so again I sincerely thank you. I did have an EKG at the time of my physical and there was a small abnormality that my Dr. said isn't very threatening but since that visit my symptoms have become exacerbated for no reason I can pinpoint. I now have twitching in many different areas and I will be seeing a cardiologist on Wed so hopefully I can get some more insight then. The lightheadedness/dizziness is constant as well even as I'm writing this. I've read of anxiety and I'm definitely not lacking in the stress department but I don't feel scared or worried of people or worried of some horrible catastrophe and my aforementioned symptoms are the only ones I have that I can relate to anxiety all the other symptoms I should feel if suffering from anxiety (based only on what I've read of course) are not present. I'm going to have some lab work done Wed as well so again, hopefully I will get some answers (which I'll post on here in case others can relate to my unfortunate situation).
 sniksder83 - Thu May 14, 2009 10:57 pm

Just to follow up, I saw a cardiologist and had some bloodwork done and everything came back normal. My symptoms have started to subside somewhat and my Dr. told me sometimes things happen but go away with no real cause, he hinted it might have been stress. I hope this helps some ppl out there. My symptoms were very strong but they've gotten better and hopefully will go away completely soon.
 Squeek3r - Thu May 21, 2009 11:51 am

I have been having the same exact issue and it's lasted for about 2 weeks. i have an appointment today to go over the results of my blood work.

i am a 27yo female who has cut down on caffeine intake. 5'4 130 and a smoker of 4 years. (cutting down as of late!)

My lightheadedness and dizziness has lead me to sit down and allow the heart palpitaions to subside. With the heart palpitations comes the feeling of floating and my whole focus goes out of wack. Conversations that I have..are ending with the other person having to get my attention back. It has been more frequent the last few days and people are telling me its just anxiety. I have felt anxious before and I definitely know the difference between the two.

I was leaving work the other day and the palpitations began and with that came a hot feeling and i wasnt sure if i was going to fall over or vomit. I could not tell!!

My arms became weak...and it was hard to drive or even pick up anything without my arms feeling as though they carried a 1000 lbs. definitely abnormal and I just need some feedback because my dr doesn't feel it's serious.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here