Question: Atypical Chest Pain, but doesn't appear to be heart disease

bob-robert - Wed Feb 02, 2005 1:19 pm

I am a 56 yo male. In 2000, I had a double bypass, with a quick recovery. I am on medication for high cholesteral, high blood pressure and acid reflex. Starting about a year after my CABG, I occasionally get what I call "attacks" or "episodes" of very servere pain in my upper left chest, sometimes radiating to my shoulder and back. On the 1 to 10 pain scale, I rate them as a 9. During the attack, the very bad pain can last for upto an hour, and then it subsides over the next few hours. With each attack, I go to the ER, where EKG's and blood work come up negative. Because of these attacks, my cardiolist has also performed several heart catherizations and stress tests with echo-cardigram. In each case, they came up negative. However, within the past year, they did notice that 3 of my heart chambers have enlarged (they weren't enlarged before), but tests for leakage were negative. My last attack was just a few days ago. Several of the attacks occured 1 to 2 hours after I woke up, but others have occured later in the day. I'm following up with my doctor, but I was wondering if you might have some thoughts as to what non-heart realted condition might be causing this? Thanks.
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Sun Mar 06, 2005 12:13 am

User avatar Dear Robert,

It is very worrisome when a person with known coronary disease suffers from chest pain espcially post cabg as this could mean that the grafts are occluded. Your cardiologist did the right thing by performing a coronary angiogram to make sure that everything is ok.

At this point, i think we can confidently say that the pain that you are having is most probably non-cardiac.

This pain could be due neck spine problems, so i would recommend that you get a neck x-ray/ct scan to exclude neck spine problems.

Acid reflux can be getting worse, so i would recommend that you increase the dose of the medication that you are getting for acid reflux.

Sometimes, gall bladder problems can cause chest pain very similar to a heart attack, so i recommend that you have an ultrasound of the abdomen to exclude gall bladder problems.

This could be musculoskeletal pain, so try an antiinflamatory medication such as advil.

|