News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Cardiology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Cardiology Answers List

Forum Name: Hypertension

Question: Toprol and cholesterol blocker

nlu2 - Wed Feb 02, 2005 2:47 pm

I am taking Toprol and vytorin. I am out of vytorin can I take cholesterol blocker? I would like to use the bottle up. It contains Phytosterol Concentrate 400mg. 43% as Beta-Sitosterol; 25% as Campesterol and 11% as Stigmasterol.
 Theresa Jones, RN - Wed Feb 02, 2005 5:45 pm

User avatar Hi nlu2,
I know that vytorin not only blocks the absoption of cholesterol from food but it also reduces the amount of cholesterol that your body naturally produces. I would be hesitant on using the othe cholesterol blocker you are referring to since I don't know exactly how it works. I would suggest rather than using up something else that may not work in the same way that you call your doctors office because frequently they have sample supplies that may be provided to you upon request.
Sincerely,
Rntdj
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Fri Feb 11, 2005 10:35 pm

User avatar Dear nlu2,

Phytosterols are plant products that interfere with intestinal absorption of cholesterol. They can lower the ldl cholesterol but they are better used in conjunction with other cholesterol lowering medications. They have weight gain as side effect.

I think you can take the phytosterols in addition to the vytorin but you have to mention this to your doctor as well.

Please, never stop the toprol suddenly. If you wish to stop it for any reason, you have to get back to your doctor.

Thank you very much for using our website http://doctorslounge.com and i hope that this information helped.

Yasser Mokhtar, M.D.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here