Forum Name: Valvular Heart Diseases

Question: Wake up with numb hands, fingers, arm

JOSEPH2018 - Thu Feb 03, 2005 10:04 am

I don't KNOW WHY BUT FOR THE PAST YEAR I SOMETIMES FIND MYSELF AWAKEND FROM MY SLUMBER, CAUSED BY PAIN IN MY ARMS, HAND, OR FINGERS. IM REALLY STARTING TO WORRY. I THINK ITS BECAUSE I don't BREATH ENOUGH WHEN IM SLEEPING, AND OXYGEN ISNT GETTING TO BY BLOOD. IM 24 YEAR MALE, AND WEIGH 200 LBS. IM NOT FAT BUT HUSKY, AND I THINK I MAY HAVE PAD.I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHAT COULD BE CAUSING THIS??ITS SCARY
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Mon Feb 07, 2005 9:10 pm

User avatar Dear Joseph,

Does it happen all the time in the same hand or it occurs in both hands.

The reason behind the numbness could be that you sleep on this arm and the nerve gets compressed and you feel the numbness or you sleep over it and the artery carrying the blood to the hand gets compressed as well.

Not getting enough oxygen during sleep caused by not breathing enough is a condition that is underdiagnosed in lots of patients and is called obstructive sleep apnea and occurs mostly in the overweight/obese population. If you snore, someone has witnessed you not breathing for a while during sleep, if you feel tired and sleepy during the day, then i would recommend that you talk to your doctor about being evaluated for sleep apnea.

|