Question: Chest Pain

cheermom1993 - Thu Feb 03, 2005 11:06 am

Hi, I am a 38 year old woman i have three kids and I am a single mother. We went up to NJ for Christmas, upon coming back my oldest daughter had a cold. Spending 2 days in a car with her sick I ended up feeling sick. by Jan 3rd I had no voice which did not alarm me because every time i get a cold i loose my voice for a few days.. Well my friend was concerned so on Jan 122th I went to the dr and she informed me that I had an ear infection, a upper respitory infection and laryangitis. She gave me Z-pac 5 day dose. I finished that medication and by the evening of the 19th I was changing the sheets on my bed and noticed I was out of breath like I had just ran a marathon. The next morning I contact my dr. and went in to see her. Mind you still no voice. she thought there may have been a problem with my vocal cords so she sent me to an ENT. I went to see him and he scoped me and said that my vocal cords were fine and that I was not getting enough air from my lungs to produce sound. Well the next morning 2oth went back to my doctor to let her know what was going on. Mind you out of breath from simply even walking around. She gave me a breathing treatment which did not help i was devloping a fever and freezing she noticed my skin white clamy (not sure of the correct term) anyway she sent me downstairs in a wheelchair to the ER. After being in the ER for about 6 hrs and them doing all the life threating test (chest x-ray, blood gases, nuclar medicene, soft tissue ct of my throat etc) they were unable to find anything wrong. They referred me to a Pulmonary dr. and gave me a precription for an inhaler. durring this time i developed chest discomfort like someone sitting on my chest and also fell it in my back like being squezed together. I went to see the pulmonary dr he sceduled me for a pulmonary embli test (not sure if this is the correct name) they put in the dye to check for blood clots in the arteries to the lungs. and a breathing test -which I was unable to complete. His assessment was there was no problem with my lungs and said he is unable to help me. I now am waiting for my doctor to see what the next step is. This has been a month of being sick and I have no idea why this sudden onset of these symtoms of chest pain,discomfort, back pain, dizzness and getting out of breath doing simple things, lack of energy etc. I am normally an active person not overweight (104lbs) don't smoke, hardly ever drink, try to eat healthy, I do expierence low blood sugar since i was a child. . I don't know much about my medical history other than my mother had a heart condition and died from heart related problem. My grandmother had some sort of artery health issue cannot remember exactly I was a child when she passed.

Any help or advice you could give would be great. Thank you so much for your time.
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Sun Mar 06, 2005 7:13 pm

User avatar Dear Cheermom1993,

i hope that you are feeling better now.

i think the next step would be to have an echocardiogram to make sure that the cause of your shortness of breath is not from the heart.

Some viruses affect the heart and cause weakness of the heart muscle even though it is too early for the symptoms of heart failure to appear.

Even though the breathing treatment did not improve your symptoms (i am not sure whether you were given the breathing treatment empirically or because you had wheezing), i would recommend that you have a test to exclude asthma as a cause for your symptoms.

i hope that this was just a viral infection that lingered for a while more than it should have.

|