News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Cardiology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Cardiology Answers List

Forum Name: Valvular Heart Diseases

Question: Atenolol during pregnancy

jelenavojinov - Mon Feb 07, 2005 10:37 am

Hi again,
I would like your advice.
I am 30 and a few years ago I was diagnosed MVP(both mital valve prolapsing)with
MR 1/2 and TR 1.I had a lot of symptoms(chest pain, extra beats).Before diagosing, a few times I nearly faint, but then they tought I was only because I was thin.
Now i don't have almost any symptoms(I work from home now)
But I would like to get pregnant and I am worried about my irregular heart rytam in the past.
EF=66%
Do i need any additional test in your opinion? (i have never had stess test)
If I need taking atenolol during pregnancy , can it cause some negative effects?
Thank you for your time
Jelena
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Mon Feb 07, 2005 9:25 pm

User avatar Dear Jelena,

If you have mitral valve prolapse with mitral valve regurge, i recommend that you have an echocardiogram every year just to see if the regurge progresses.

i think you can pregnant and i think that there will be no problems during pregnancy.

Regarding the atenolol, it can cause harm to the fetus. If you need medications during pregnancy, there are other beta blockers that are potentially safer to the fetus than atenolol.

Thank you very much for using our website http://doctorslounge.com and i hope that this information helped.

Yasser Mokhtar, M.D.
 jelenavojinov - Tue Feb 08, 2005 3:59 am

thank you for your answers,
Jelena

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here