Question: Dizzy spell

cciarrochi - Thu Jun 05, 2003 1:28 pm

I have just recently within the past few weeks experienced dizzy spells. Only when I lean my head back or get up quickly. I suffer no other dizzy spells only as indicated. I have had my blood pressure checked recently and it is fine. The only medical condition that I have is a curve in my spine at the base of my neck. I also suffer frequent hot flashes. I am 37 years old and have 2 children. I am in good health. I am a smoker and a drinker. several drinks per evening. I have no ear aches or problems that may point to an equalibrium problem. My diet is normal and I work 2 jobs. I am slightly overwieght. I am
5'7 and am about 180 lbs. Any insight would be appreciated. This is very annoying.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Thu Jun 05, 2003 8:10 pm

User avatar cciarrochi,

What exactly do you mean by dizziness? is it dizziness in the sense of fainting or do you feel that the room moves around you briefly?
You mentioned that you have two jobs.. are you getting enough rest? Fatigue can easily lead to symptoms such as dizziness.

Here are some of the causes of vertigo:

Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV).
BPPV involves intense, brief episodes of dizziness associated with a change in the position of your head, often when you turn over in bed or sit up in the morning. It occurs when particles of calcium carbonate crystals (otoconia) break loose and fall into the wrong part of the canals in your inner ear. When these particles shift, they stimulate sensors in your ear, producing an episode of vertigo. Doctors don't know what triggers BPPV, but it may be a natural result of aging. Trauma to your head also may lead to BPPV.

Inflammation in the inner ear (acute vestibular neuronitis or labyrinthitis).
Signs and symptoms of this condition include sudden, intense vertigo that may persist for several days, with nausea and vomiting. It can be incapacitating, requiring bed rest to minimize the symptoms. Fortunately, vestibular neuronitis generally subsides and clears up on its own. Although the cause of this condition is unknown, it may be a viral infection.

Meniere's disease.
This disease involves the buildup of fluid in your inner ear. It may affect adults at any age and is characterized by sudden episodes of vertigo lasting 20 minutes or longer. Other symptoms include the feeling of fullness in your ear, buzzing or ringing in your ear (tinnitus), and fluctuating hearing loss. The cause of Meniere's disease is unknown.

Acoustic neuroma.
An acoustic neuroma is a noncancerous (benign) growth on the acoustic nerve, which connects the inner ear to your brain. Symptoms of an acoustic neuroma may include dizziness, loss of balance, hearing loss and tinnitus.

Rapid changes in motion.
Riding on a roller coaster or in boats, cars or even airplanes may on occasion make you dizzy.

|