Forum Name: Valvular Heart Diseases

Question: Mitral Valve Prolapse

Rhon114 - Wed Feb 09, 2005 10:05 am

I am 30 and just diagnosed with MVP. I know what it is but have a question to see what you think may have caused it. In October 2003 I had an EKG done and nothing was found to be wrong. In October 2004 I was in a car accident where I blacked out. My vehicle struck a utility pole. On inmpact I hit the steering wheel with my chest because like a fool I didn't have my seat belt on. I was wondering if the MVP could have been a cause of me hitting the steering wheel as hard as I did. The steering coulumn was totally shattered. They ran all kind of tests on me to rule out seizures. Everything came back clear. All they found was the MVP which has been corrected with the use of Tanormin (25mg). The Neruo doctor still isn't sure what caused me to black out but refuses to even think that I was able to fall asleep within two blocks from my house. I was exhausted due to waking at 3am and not getting to bed until about midnight every day for work that week prior to my accident. I have an appointment with my PCP on Friday and was wondering if he should look for all my other EKG's from the previous year to compare them for just in case something was overlooked then and to rule out the fact that it was caused by my accident.
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Wed Feb 09, 2005 4:57 pm

User avatar Dear Rhon,

Mitral valve prolapse is a congenital heart disease. The mechanism behind it is yet to be determined but it is said that it is caused by weakness in the fibrous tissue which is the supporting tissue of the body.

The diagnosis of mitral valve prolapse can be suscted by clinical examination and be diagnosed by echocardiogram. An ekg can not diagnose mitral valve prolpase and there are no specific signs on the ekg that mitral valve prolapse can cause. So, i don't think that it would be of value if your doctor compared your ekgs.

Tenormin does not correct mitral valve prolapse.

From what you said, i think that you just fell asleep while driving, as simple as that and happens all the time but i think all other conditions that can cause loss of consciousness have to be ruled out first before saying that you just simply fell asleep.

Rhon114 - Wed Feb 09, 2005 8:29 pm

I said that wrong the first time. I have PVC's. That is what I am using the Tanormin for. But for some reason he is putting the mitral valve prolapse down as a diagnoisis. Do they ever coinside or should it not even be said that I have the mitral valve prolapse?
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Thu Feb 10, 2005 12:49 pm

User avatar Dear Rhon,

Extra beats whether of atrial or ventricular origin have been associated with mitral valve prolapse.

So, this can be the diagnosis as these extrabeats have to have a cause and in your case the cause is most probably the mitral valve prolapse.

Rhon114 - Thu Feb 10, 2005 12:59 pm

I wasn't having any extra beats though. I was actually skipping a beat.
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Thu Feb 10, 2005 2:34 pm

User avatar Dear Rhon,

Actually, they are the same but different nomenclature and some people refer to it as early beats and this is what the term pvc (premature ventricular contraction) stands for.

|