Question: How do I know if I have heart symptoms?

Need advice - Fri Feb 11, 2005 2:56 am

For the past few weeks, I have been having burning sensations and stabbing pains in my chest. The pain radiates into my back and shoulder and sometimes I have burning pains in my left arm without having any pain in my chest. I went to the doctor who checked my blood pressure and heartbeat and pulse. I had been taking aspirin for a few days and he said that all were normal. The doctor diagnosed GERD and gave me medicine for that. The pain hasn't really got any better, so I went back today and he still thinks that it is GERD. I also told him that I sometimes feel extremely hot and occasionally it will feel as if my heart skips a beat. I am also very tired and on occasion feel very weak. After coming out of the doctors room, I decided to test my blood pressure myself with the machine in the waiting room. If I am reading the monitor correctly, it says that my blood pressure was 153. I am extremely worried that this is related to my heart and that I am about to have a heart attack. I am female, 30 and overweight. Please advise. Thanks
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Tue Mar 01, 2005 11:29 pm

User avatar Dear Need advice,

Females of the child bearing age are naturally protected against coronary disease. You don't have major risk factors for coronary disease and the chest pain that you are suffering from is atypical as compared to pain of coronary origin. The probability that you have coronary disease (and subsequently heart attack) is very low.

Having higher blood pressure for once does not mean that you will have a heart attack immediately.

i recommend that you have an echocardiography (ultrasound of the heart) to exclude a condition called mitral valve prolapse. It is very notorious for causing atypical chest pain and palpitations. It just needs to be watched.

i recommend that you have a neck x-ray/ct scan to rule out neck spine problems which can cause chest pain as well.

The burning sensation is usually an indication for gerd. Try gerd medications at higher doses or switch to a stronger medication.

|