Question: Fast heart beat

havenallen - Sat Feb 12, 2005 3:24 pm

I have been to several doctors with being off balanced, dizzy , feeling faint but not actually fainting. I have a resting pulse of around 80 to 84 but when I stand my heart rate jumps anywhere from 104 to 140. My Dr had me wear a Holiter monitor which showed no abnormalties, however, he stated I did have a fast heart rate most of the time and prescribed me Inderal 20 mg and Effexor37.5mg. But I'm thinking that if my heart is beating fast when standing maybe it's due to blood pooling and if I take the beta blocker to slow my heart down what if my blood can't get to where it needs to be. I am just really confused been dealing with this for about 3 yrs and symptoms are becoming very debilitating. Any suggestions?
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Tue Mar 01, 2005 11:50 pm

User avatar Dear Havenallen,

If this has not been done yet, i recommend checking a thyroid function blood test to make sure that your thyroid gland is not hyperactive.

Regarding the beta blockers, they are used in cases of tachycardia and they can cause low blood pressure, but if your symptoms are debilitating, i would suggest that you follow your doctor's advice but if you are worried, you can discuss with him/her to start at a lower dose and see the response.

There is a condition called postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (pots) that causes increase in the heart rate in the first 5 minutes of standing by more than 28 beats per minute and its treatment is either to take beta blockers or fludrocortisone and is diagnosed by a tilt table test.

|