Forum Name: Cardiology Diagnostics

Question: Mild/Dull Pain on the right side of chest

GrantNKS - Sun Feb 13, 2005 10:49 am

Hello, my name is Grant and I'm a 30 year old male. I am having some mild/dull pain on the right side of my chest (towards the center). It feels deep and its hard to pin point where exactly its coming from. I worry a lot and I've had several tests done in the the past. Last April I had a ultrasound/stress test done. They scanned my heart, I did the actual stress test, then I laid down real quick and they scanned it again. They said that I didn't have any problems at all. Everything checked out perfectly. Well recently I started worrying again. I had a Cardiac Score (ultrafast CT) test done earlier this week and the tech said that she didn't see anything at all and that I would more then likely get the lowest score (lower being best) possible.

I take 20mg of Zocor daily to help keep my cholestorol down. It was at 236 back in 2002. I've had several follow ups since then and it is way down. I have also recently started taking a Bayer aspirin every day. I started a workout program three weeks ago, weights and cardio. I do not feel any pain during or after workouts.

I am also having some numbness in my right hand (middle and ring fingers). I feel it every once in a while on the bottoms side of my right wrist also. I've been told I have bone spurs in my neck and I've had to have physical therapy on my neck several times for neck pain. I'm hoping my numbness is something neck related and not heart related.

So, I have had a stress/ultrasound test done, a cardiac score (ct) and I don't have any pain duirng or after exercise. I've been told I don't have anything to worry about. This mild/dull pain in the central/right part of my chest triggers anxiety. I immediately think the worst, and that it's heart related. I just want to get a second opinion from someone else. Should I have any other tests done. Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.

Grant
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Mon Feb 14, 2005 10:57 am

User avatar Dear Grant,

To decide whether or not certain chest pain is due to coronary heart disease, risk factors for conoary disease in the patient suffering from the chest pain and the characteristics of the pain are looked at to see what is the probability of this person having coronary disease.

In your case, your risk factors are merely being a male, i am not sure what a cholesterol of 236 means without telling me what is your good cholesterol (hdl) and your bad cholesterol (ldl). You don't smoke, you don't have any of the major diseases strongly associated with coronary disease namely diabetes and hypertension and most importantly, you don't have a family history of coronary disease because family history of coronary disease means that you have to have a first degree (dad, mom, brother or sister) relative who has a heart attack before the age where coronary disease is to be expected, roughly 50 in men and 60 in women.

Your chest pain is absolutely atypical as compared to that of chest pain typical caused by coronary disease.

So, to start with, your have a very low probability of this pain being due to coronary disease. On top of that, you had a normal exercise stress echo and an ultrafast ct that was normal as well.

i don't think that you have coronary disease. So what is causing this right sided chest pain? It is your neck problem, neck problems can cause chest pains. You can take a look at the forum if you have time and you will find several posts to which i replied that if a person has chest pain that proves not to be due to coronary disease, my personal bias is that a neck x-ray or ct scan even have to be done to rule out neck problems.

Another cause might be reflux disease, you might try taking over the counter aniti-acids and see their effect on the chest pain that you get.

|