Forum Name: Ischemic Heart Disease

Question: Intra-atrial septal aneurysm with infarct?

annaliza - Mon Feb 14, 2005 9:30 pm

I know I have an intra-atrial septal aneurysm w/o asd but on one of my ekg they found "anterior infarct" so what is that? I have a hard time regulating my BP too which doesn't help. They say I do have a pvo and my left atrium is mildly enlarged. How bad is that? Last but not least I always get asked how many heart attacts and strokes I've had. Thing is I don't know. When doctors run test like ekg, tee, and echograms, which I have had all, I don't think they tell us everything. Set me straight please.
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Thu Feb 17, 2005 7:11 pm

User avatar Dear Annaliza,

There are ekg machines that interpret ekgs automatically. These interpretations need to validated and confirmed by doctors. Anterior infarct pattern can appear on ekg (falsely) especially if the ekg leads are not positioned properly on the chest of the patient.

If your blood pressure medications do not control your blood pressure, then higher doses of the same medications or other medications have to be tried, it is a matter of trial and error, every patient is different.

Flow across a patent foramen ovale is not usually very high and does not affect the size of the left atrium much, an uncontrolled blood pressure can cause an increase in the size of the left atrium.

The question about how many heart attacks and strokes is many times a routine part of the history taking and it does not mean that you ever had any. i think that most doctors will tell their patients the most important and relevant information needed, however, there might be some minor details that they think are not going to add much to the info already available to the patient, but i think that they are ready to ask any question that any of their patients asks.

|