News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Cardiology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Cardiology Answers List

Forum Name: Hypertension

Question: High blood pressure while sleeping/laying down

sammy777 - Tue Feb 15, 2005 12:50 pm

Can your blood pressure go up while you are laying down or sleeping? I have had episodes for the last month or so where while i am sleeping/awaking from it- or laying down- I feel my heart rate/pulse increasing and i feel large amounts of pounding throughout my body- I can hear a humming or swooshing noise from in between my ear canal and my brain- every time I lay down i get headeaches - sweats- blurry vision and it "feels" like my pressure is really really high- I don't have any stress in my life and I know this isn't anxiety- it happens when I'm waking up in the am- it seems to get better when i get up- but i can still feel it slightly and i can see vibrations "pulsing flashes" from the perimeters of my eyes- Should I be worried?
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Sun Apr 17, 2005 1:51 pm

User avatar Dear Sammy,

Usually, blood pressure is a little higher when one is supine.

Have you ever checked your blood pressure while you are supine?

The noise that you hear in your ear is actually the carotid artery as it passes near to this area.

i am not sure what is causing your headaches, sweating and blurred vision, these are non-specific symptoms, they don't have to be necessarily due to high blood pressure.

i suggest that you have a 24 hours blood pressure monitoring device to keep track of your blood pressure all through the day, while you are awake, sleeping, running, etc...

Thank you very much for using our website http://doctorslounge.com and i hope that this information helped.

Yasser Mokhtar, M.D.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here