Forum Name: Hypertension

Question: High blood pressure while sleeping/laying down

sammy777 - Tue Feb 15, 2005 12:50 pm

Can your blood pressure go up while you are laying down or sleeping? I have had episodes for the last month or so where while i am sleeping/awaking from it- or laying down- I feel my heart rate/pulse increasing and i feel large amounts of pounding throughout my body- I can hear a humming or swooshing noise from in between my ear canal and my brain- every time I lay down i get headeaches - sweats- blurry vision and it "feels" like my pressure is really really high- I don't have any stress in my life and I know this isn't anxiety- it happens when I'm waking up in the am- it seems to get better when i get up- but i can still feel it slightly and i can see vibrations "pulsing flashes" from the perimeters of my eyes- Should I be worried?
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Sun Apr 17, 2005 1:51 pm

User avatar Dear Sammy,

Usually, blood pressure is a little higher when one is supine.

Have you ever checked your blood pressure while you are supine?

The noise that you hear in your ear is actually the carotid artery as it passes near to this area.

i am not sure what is causing your headaches, sweating and blurred vision, these are non-specific symptoms, they don't have to be necessarily due to high blood pressure.

i suggest that you have a 24 hours blood pressure monitoring device to keep track of your blood pressure all through the day, while you are awake, sleeping, running, etc...

|