Question: Throat aches while walking (exercising)

leetoniajerry - Sun Aug 02, 2009 8:01 am

I briskly walk about 4 miles for exercise three or four times a week...the past couple of months after walking 3 or so miles I experience a gradual ache in both sides of my throat and the ache travels up and seems to gradually cause a headache. It also makes me feel as though if I make myself burp the symptons lessen. I find that if I take very deep breaths the symptons lessen as well. The only real relief I get is when I completely stop walking for about 5 minutes and start again but after thes rest and I continue to walk the symptons reappear.

Thanks in advance
 John Kenyon, CNA - Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:02 am

Given the description of symptoms, your age group, etc., I would want to rule out the possibility of exercise-induced angina, which would be consistent with your description of the onset and resolution of symptoms. This will require a comprehensive cardiological workup including resting and exercise EKG (the latter with nuclear scan) and, if suspicious, followed up by an angiogram. If all the first-line tests are negative, you may have exercise-induced acid reflux, which would be the second most-likely explanation for what's been happening. While this is annoying and should be treated if present, the most important thing would be to rule out coronary artery disease (or the more rare structural disease). You would appear to be in good shape generally, but if you're walking around with active heart disease it would be far better to know and have it handled so as to avoid eventual damage to the heart muscle. Again, what you describe is pretty classic for exercise-induced angina, which could be due to one or more narrowed arteries and can be handled fairly simply if done before something more serious happens. If this is not the case then you move on to a GI doctor and look for possible reflux disease.

Hope this is helpful. Good luck to you and please follow up with us here.

|