Forum Name: Pericardial Diseases

Question: pericarditis and congenital heart defect-PFO

cheer_girl - Sun Aug 02, 2009 9:15 pm

I am a sixteen year old girl and I have a PFO. Two days ago I had an echocardiogram to check for pericarditis after severe chest pains. I get the results tommorow, if I have this condition, will it interfere with my process of getting my PFO closed? Will I need to put off cath lab procedure, will it affect my PFO, ect.,
 John Kenyon, CNA - Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:25 pm

User avatar Hi there --

If you do actually have pericarditis it can range from mild to fairly complex but in almost all cases responds to fairly simple medication and usually doesn't last too long once it's been treated. Most cases of pericarditis would not interfere with a PFO repair except to the extent that it would probably need to be cured before the repair is done, which, again, shouldn't take very long in most cases to resolve. Pericarditis is a fairly common problem, is usually easily treated, rarely causes lasting problems unless it is related to an underlying condition. It would only interfere with your cath procedure/repair insofar as it would need to be declared cured beforehand, so if you're scheduled to have the procedure in the next week or so it might have to be postponed for a week or so, which really shouldn't be a big problem.

I hope this is helpful. Good luck to you and please follow up with us here as needed.

|