Question: Chest Pain with Normal EKG and Blood Work

joshc45 - Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:25 am

I am writing because i am a 25 year old male that occassionally has pain down my inner left and right arm and occasional chest pains. All of the pains that i experience never last over just a few seconds. I went to the docotor monday and they ran an ekg, and blood work and told me everything looked normal. I was just wondering if there could still be possible blockages in the heart causing the chest pain and pains down my arm. The doctors doesn't seem to think so because of the absence of the risk factors that i have. I am 25, no family history of heart disease, i don't smoke, etc. My cholesterol was 200 and the plaque build up was 84 and she said they like to see it below 150. i Have been extremely stressed out lately and she tagged my pains to stress. She has put me on a anti-depressant that has seemed to help me ease my nerves. Please let me know what you think.
 Theresa Jones, RN - Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:28 am

User avatar Hi joshc45,
An EKG can show changes in the hearts rhythm and changes that indicate blockage of the coronary vessels. There are two types of chest pain one is cardiac and the other is noncardiac in origin. Symptoms of cardiac type chest pain typically are described as heaviness, squeezing, tightness located over the midsternal or left chest. It typically lasts more than a few minutes, may worsen with exertion and may radiate to the jaw, neck or arms. It also may be accompanied by a feeling of indigestion, sweating, nausea or vomiting. A couple of other diagnostic studies that are used to identify cardiac causes of chest pain or blockage of the coronary arteries are a cardiac stress test and a cardiac catherization.
Some of the noncardiac causes of chest pain are stress/anxiety, Gerd, musculoskeletal strains, lung disorders, etc. I hope you find this information helpful. Best wishes!

|