Forum Name: Hypertension

Question: RESPeRATE device to lower BP, can I do it without?

andrew979 - Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:06 pm

Based on my research, the RESPeRATE device http://www.resperate.com/us/welcome/index.aspx has been conclusively proven to lower blood pressure through controlled breathing.

10 breaths per minute or less, for 15 minutes, 3 or 4 times per week is what the manufacturer recommends.

My question is: can I achieve the same results by doing the above without buying this $300 dollar machine?
 Debra Van Ness RN - Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:34 pm

I appologize for taking so long to see this question. I will tell you that I have never heard of such a method whatsoever. The only ways I know to lower blood pressure without meds is to do a few things. First, cut down on the salt intake. Change your diet to a low fat diet to prevent clogging the arteries/vessels. Exercise, lose weight and don't smoke. I have never in my life heard of a method cutting you down to 10 breaths a minute for that many minutes. Especially since the lower end of the breathing rate for most of us is 12 breaths per minute. We are all different. But depriving yourself of breath and oxygen does not seem to me to be any way to lower blood pressure by any means I have ever heard. I have been a practicing RN for 17 years.
Debra Van Ness RN

|