Forum Name: Diseases of the Aorta

Question: Aortic insufficiency

kvitka - Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:04 pm

Since the age of 3 (I am 24 now) I was told that I have Paroxysmal Tachycardia, however it is nothing to be scared of. I was living not taking care too much about my heart. However, I have moved to another country and had passed a very stressful year.
Two months ago I had an attack of tachycardia, with pulsation 230. I got in panic and experienced a horrible panic attack.
I undergone cardiac analyses and was diagnosed with aortic insufficiency (light level), Mitral valve prolapse (light level and without noticed insufficiency), and tricuspid insufficiency. I was told I was born like that and the level is light.
Since the time of the last attack, I am tired,to climb stairs it's a really hard task for me, I often feel light- headed, sometimes feeling hard heart beats and chest pain. I am very scared every time I feel it. I told all that to the family doctor and she said it is psychological. But I feel scared after I have hard heart beats, or all that feelings, not before!
I have a strong fear of death and no doctor explained to me if this condition I have will allow me to have a long life.

Thanks for reading this and hope to hear answers.

Kind regards,

Marina
 John Kenyon, CNA - Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:40 pm

User avatar Hello Marina -- From the sound of things you have a genetic set of three valvular abnormalities which are mild. This probably should be confirmed, however, by a second opinion by another doctor (cardiologist) to be sure. If in fact the abnormalities are mild, they are probably not causing the symptoms, although mitral valve prolapse (MVP), while usually quite benign, can cause lots of palpitations, tachycardias, etc. as well as anxiety, fatigue, in fact all the symptoms you've described -- which also would be consistent with a finding of anxiety/panic disorder (which is often seen with MVP anyway). The only thing you mention which is potentially worrisome -- though it seems unlikely -- is the aortic valve abnormality. This is said to be "light" or not significant, which is fine, if correct. If it is more severe than diagnosed (this can only be ascertained by a second opinion) it could also cause the symptoms you describe, and the only reason I even mention this is because if,on the off-chance the doctor you saw didn't read the aortic valve measurements correctly this could be a remotely possible cause for your symptoms and would then require additional attention. I don't think that's the case, but at a distance it's not fair to you for me to try and imagine what the valve looks like. Only a doctor can make certain this diagnosis is correct, and since your symptoms seem to be getting worse, while I do suspect anxiety is the culprit, it would be wrong to just tell you, all these miles away, that everything is fine. I believe it is, but knowing for certain would be the best way to make you able to relax about this and approach it in the most effective way. If it's not being caused by the aortic valve problem then it is almost certainly an anxiety issue and there are medications that can be very helpful with this if that's the case.

I hope this is helpful. Good luck to you, and please follow up with us here as needed.

|