Forum Name: Hypertension

Question: dangerously high blood pressure in 10 year old

marilyn222 - Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:27 pm

Last night my ten year old daughter ran through the house screameing that she had a very bad headache. Because of her screaming we rushed her to the emergency room and found that her blood pressure was 160 over 120. She is very slender and has not had headaches before. The doctor placed her on Norvasc and will monitor her pressure.

My instinct tells me something is very wrong. I can't remember all of the details but 10 or so years ago I knew a young lady in her 20's who had to have an emergency operation because of some type of condition that had to do with the placement or arrangement of the blood vessels. Can you give me any insight on possibilities.

Thank you
marilyn
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:10 am

User avatar Hello,Severe hypertension needs to be treated actively.Hypertensive emergency refers to progressive end organ damage, to brain,heart and kidneys.Your daughter possibly had a hypertensive urgency which means there is only hypertension without organ damage.There are two types of hypertension in general.Primary,ie no specific cause the commonest in the general population and there are some genetic factors in play.Secondary, which is relating to kidney blood supply,a vessel block especially of the renal system,hormonal causes mainly of the adrenals,and a block of main aorta from the heart.Now a days these conditions have become treatable thanks to baloon plasties and stenting apart from medications.She may need investigations like MRI,and invasive studies if necessary.Hormonal studies are required to rule out pheochromocytomas,ie adrenal based disorder.Do get her investigated and she should recover soon with no sequale.Do keep me informed.Best wishes.

|