Forum Name: Hypertension

Question: hypertension, cholesterol, weight gain and depression !!!

littlerose - Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:59 pm

I have a complicated health history stemming back to 2004 when a botched appendectomy in left my intenstin was with a cut of 4cm. Septeceamia and other infections set in. After life saving surgery by another hospital I was left with two stoma's and bags. Massive weight loss incurred and I had problems with renal function, extreme low bloodpressure. I had a nervous breakdown and was treated for depression.

After 10 surgeries and 18 months in hospital I was finally on the way to recovery.My intestine was shortened, I have no 'pockets', but I have been left problems akin to severe irritable bowel syndrome. I am no good with stress, and have gained too much weight my BMI is approximatemy 29.5.

A medical has just diagnosed me with hypertension 166/90, and blood results show my HDL at 0,42 and the LDL at 1.41 (in Nov 2008 HDL = 0,44, LDL 1,16)

I am facing further surgery to repair a massive umbilical hernia, to perform an appronectomy and to remove a large overian cyst (1OOmm in size - weight about a kilo) .

I have an ongoing court case against the hospital (french) that caused all the problems, massive financial worries beause of the european recession plus many other personal issues that I have trouble dealing with.

I know I need to improve my diet and increase my excercise, though I do not excisively overeat, I do comfort eat (I've been controlling this recently). I ride my horse during the week and try to walk as much as possible - though I know that this is enough and I am beginning yoga classes next week.

I am only 49 and have two children, I am seriously worried about these results. I don't want to keel over wth heart failure - my family have been through enough trauma. i also don't need another emotional crisis, I am not dealing with stress very well these days.

Though I am english speaking I do not live in a country that is english speaking and I need to prepare myself for a visit to my doctor. I hope you can advise me on what to do and what to ask my doctor.

Thank you in anticipation.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:42 pm

User avatar Hello -- You've had a very difficult and stressful time, and stress can cause a lot of side issues or make pre-existing things worse. It may be responsible for your moderate hypertension right now, and that can be treated as can the stress, to a certain extent. While high blood pressure is a risk factor for future congestive heart failure it's not high enough nor had it been going on long enough to damage your heart as yet, so with proper medication and stress management that factor can be contained. Your HDL is a very good number, but the LDL is rather high, so this may require a statin drug in combination with improved diet and exercise. Again, stress probably also plays a role in this, and a stress management program, along with appropriate medication, may well eliminate that risk factor. Stress unfortunately is always with us, but it can at least be managed. Relaxation techniques can be learned that can even lower blood pressure.

Hopefully justice will be served in your lawsuit and your future surgery should go well. None of that has a direct effect on your heart heatlh but the overall stress of the surgeries and the lawsuit can certainly cause some of this. Again, you would not appear a candidate for keeling over, but you do have some risk factors that can and should be managed with the assistance of a good and sympathetic physician.

I hope this is helpful to you. Good luck and please follow up with us as needed.

|