Forum Name: Valvular Heart Diseases

Question: Mitral Regurgitation

gnehcty - Fri Feb 18, 2005 10:19 am

Hi, I was diagnosed with mitral valve prolapse when I was 17 years old. I am currently 28 years old and about 6 months ago I started to have chest pain and shortness of breath almost every two weeks. I get about 7 hours of sleep every day but I always feel lightheaded. I went to see my family doctor and got echocardiogram done. The result was I have mitral regurgitation and pulmonic regurgitation but no mitral valve prolapse. I am not on any medications but would like to find out if my chest pain and shortness of breath is due to my heart condition and is there anything I can do to have these symptoms go away.
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Fri Feb 18, 2005 11:16 am

User avatar Dear gnehcty,

How severe was the mitral and pulmonic regurgitation? What was the size of the left atrium and left ventricle and what was the ejection fraction?

What did your doctor think about the cause of the shortness of breath after the echo resutls came back?

Chest pain is a well known symptom of mitral valve prolpase. Not having mitral valve prolapse on the echocardiogram does not necessarily mean that you don't have it.

Lightheadedness has lots of reasons, did your doctor ask you to have any blood tests to check for any causes such as anemia?

gnehcty - Fri Feb 18, 2005 7:16 pm

Here is the echocardiogram result
Left Atrium: 26
Aortic Root: 29
LV ed: 43
LV es: 27
IVS: 7
Post Wall: 7
RWT: 0.33
Right Ventricle: 14
% Fractional Shortening: 37
LV Mass: 91g
LVM Index: 60
LV Ejection Fraction: 67

Description Findings:
Pulsed wave, continuous wave and color Doppler revealed: There is a trace of mitral regurgitation and pulmonic regurgitation.

The doctor mentioned that I have low blood pressure but I do not have anemia.

The doctor gave me Ativan Sublingual 0.5mg for use of shortness of breath and chest pain but it causes drowsiness therefore I did not take it.

Is there a solution that does not require medication?

Thanks!!!
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Sun Feb 20, 2005 9:31 am

User avatar Dear gnehcty,

Thank you very much for the update.

Your echocardiogram is essentially normal. Trace mitral regurgitation is without any hemodynamic effects as well as pulmonic regurgitation.

Your symptoms of lightheadedness are not related to your cardiac condition.

About the chest pain and the shortness of breath, it looks from your post that your doctor thought that these might be panic attacks.

Try half a tablet of the xanax and see how it goes.

|